Salmond, Mike (MFA)
Back to Profile List
EducationB.Sc MediaLab Arts, Plymouth University. UK
MFA Electronic Media, University of South Florida. FL
SpecialtiesInteraction design, game design, experience design.
Research and Teaching InterestsMy current design research focus is on the theory and practice of interactive media and videogames. I am particularly interested in the intersections between design, art and technology and the possibilities this may have for creating new spaces for creative expression.
Courses OfferedDigital Media Design 1 and 2, Video Game Design, Interactive Design 1, Web Design 1, Graphic Design 2
- Videogame Level Design, From the Ground Up. Published by Fairchild/Bloomsbury Ltd. (2019)
- Videogame Design Practices & Principles: From the Ground Up. (2016) Published by Fairchild/Bloomsbury Ltd. ISBN-13: 978-1472567482.
- The Fundamentals of Interactive Design. (with Gavin Ambrose). Published 2013 by Fairchild/Bloomsbury Publishing Ltd. ISBN: 9782940411863. (2013)
- Salmond, J., and Salmond, M., 2016. The Gamer as Tourist: The Simulated Environments and Impossible Geographies of Videogames. in Volume: Tourism and the Creative industries: Theories, Policies and Practices. Edited by: Long, P. Morpeth, N. Taylor Francis, London.
- Salmond, M. The Mediation and Fetishization of the Travel Experience. for the volume; Mediating the Tourist Experience: From Brochures to Virtual Encounters. Edited by Jo-Anne Lester & Caroline Scarles. Published by Ashgate Publishing Ltd of the UK. November 2013. ISBN: 9781409451068
- Paris Design Summit, Paris, France. Paper 'Educating for Sustainable Design: Partnerships for the Future' Co-presenter with Dr. Jacqueline Salmond (2019)
- American Association of Geographers. San Francisco, CA USA. Paper: 'The virtual tourist: the simulated environments and impossible geographies of videogames.' Co-presenter Dr. J Salmond. (2016)
- College Art Association Conference. Los Angeles, CA USA. Panel Chair: 'Code as Craft.' (2012)
- College Art Association Conference. New York, NY, USA. Co-Chair: Mike Salmond, Dr Kirstin Ringelberg: 'Cel-Culture: The Hybrid Intersections of Art, Video Games, and Manga.' (2011)
- ‘The diaries of Professor G. Angell; deceased’ Videogame. Solo Show. Electronic Art Gallery. Visual Arts Building. Colorado State University. (2017)
- ‘Urban Circadian Rhythms’. Video. Selected for inclusion in the 40th
- Festival of Nations video festival, Ebensee, Austria. (2012)
In 2013 my first book ‘The Fundamentals of Interactive Media Design’ was published by Fairchild/Bloomsbury in the UK and USA and Australia. In 2014 it was translated into French, Spanish and Mandarin and is sold across multiple international markets. In 2016 my second book, ‘Videogame Design; Practices and Principles from the Ground Up’ was published by Fairchild/Bloomsbury with translated editions released the same year. My artworks and design have been featured in the book ‘Glitch: Designing Imperfection’ (2009), as well as being a focus for the chapter he wrote ‘The Mediation and Fetishization of the Travel Experience’ for the volume; 'Mediating the Tourist Experience’ (Lester & Scarles. 2013) which was published by Ashgate in the UK. My work and thoughts on art and design were included in the book ‘Design Genius’ (Ambrose, 2013) which was published in the UK and USA by Bloomsbury.