Ph.D. Chemical Oceanography (Minor in Statistics) Louisiana State University, Baton
Rouge – 2015
M.S., Aquaculture and Fisheries (Aquatic Chemistry) University of Arkansas at Pine
Bluff – 2011
M.S., Environmental Sciences (Environmental Chemistry) Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu,
Nepal – 2005
B.S., Environmental Sciences (Minor in Chemistry and Biology) Tri-Chandra Multiple
College, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal – 2003
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching Interests
Marine Chemistry, Environmental chemistry, Petroleum geochemistry and chemical fingerprinting,
Organic geochemistry, Sediment biogeochemistry, Radiochemistry.
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
OCC 4002C - Marine Chemistry
CHM 1084C - Environmental Chemistry
EVR 4911 - Sr Prj Present Envir Studies
EVR 4920 - CT: Oil Spills Marine Environ
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Bam, W. 2019. Fate of particle-bound polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons in the river-influenced continental margin of the northern Gulf of Mexico.
Marine Pollution Bulletin 141, 350-362.
- Bam, W., Hooper-Bui, L.M., Strecker, R.M., Adhikari, P.L, Overton, E.B. 2018. Coupled
Effects of Oil Spill and Hurricane on Saltmarsh Terrestrial Arthropods. PLOS ONE 13(4):
- Adhikari, P.L., Wong, R.L. and Overton, E.B., 2017. Application of enhanced gas chromatography/triple quadrupole mass spectrometry for
monitoring petroleum weathering and forensic source fingerprinting in samples impacted
by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Chemosphere 184, 939-950.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Overton, E.B., Brad, E.R., Marx, B.D. 2016. Distribution and Accumulation Rates of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Gulf
of Mexico Sediments. Environmental Pollution, 212, 413-423.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Somiddho, B. 2016. 238U-234Th disequilibria as a tracer of vertical flux of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon
in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 107, 179-187.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Overton, E.B. 2015. Vertical Fluxes of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Chemistry, 168, 60-68.
- Adhikari, P.L., White, J.R., Maiti, K., Nguyen, N. 2015. Phosphorous speciation and sedimentary phosphorous release from the Northern Gulf
of Mexico sediments: Implication for Hypoxia. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 164, 77-85.
Full list of Publications:
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
- Overton E.B., Meyer, B.A., Miles, M.S., Adhikari, P.L., Turner, R.E. 2020. Understanding
the Fates and Chemical Compositions of Weathered Oil in Coastal Marshes after the
2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, IOSC 2020, MAY 11-14, 2020, New Orleans, LA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Pangeni, D., Overton, E.B, Wong, R. 2019. Evaluation of relative response
factors of alkylated PAH homologs using gas chromatography – triple quadrupole mass
spectrometry. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference, February 4-7,
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Adhikari P.L., Petras, R.M., Gupta, I., Rowe, M., Mbaegbu, M. 2018. Real time measurement
of gas composition from live well fluids at drilling site. Goldschmidt Conference,
August 12-17, Boston, MA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K. 2017. Distribution and transport of particle-bound polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons in a river-influenced continental margin: the northern Gulf
of Mexico. American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, December 11-15, New Orleans,
- Adhikari, P.L., Overton, E.O., Miles, M.S., Wong, R.L. 2017. How much oil is actually
removed by evaporation, photo-oxidation and microbial weathering? The International
oil Spill Conference (IOSC), May 15-18, Long Beach, California, USA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Wong, R.L., Overton, E.B. 2017. Application of High Resolution Gas
Chromatography/Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry in Multiple Reaction Monitoring
Mode (HRGC/MRM) in Petroleum Forensics: Insights from the Sediments Impacted by the
Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. The International oil Spill Conference (IOSC), May 15-18,
Long Beach, California, USA.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- Muller, J., Adhikari, P.L., Parsons, M., Savarese, M. 2019. Acquisition of a SAGe
Well Detector to Support Geoscience Education and Student and Faculty Research at
Florida Gulf Coast University. National Science Foundation (NSF) MRI. $180,166.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2019. Application of Radium isotopes to tract Submarine Groundwater
Discharge. FGCU Foundation.$5,000.
- Adhikari, P.L., Muller, J., Parsons, M. 2019. The history and management of red tide
(harmful algal blooms) in Southwest Florida. FGCU Scholarship-Research Venture Fund.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2019. Analysis of micro-plastics and micro-plastic-derived contaminants
in South West Florida coastal-marine Sediments. Professional Development Enhancement
Award Program, FGCU. $1,000.
- Gupta, I., Adhikari, P.L. 2018. Mass Spectrometry Calibration of Lighter Hydrocarbons
from Live Well Fluids. Halliburton. $101, 462.
- Bargu, S., Maiti, K., Adhikari, P.L., et al., 2016-2018. Impacts of ocean acidification
on natural phytoplankton communities, oyster development and trophic interactions:
Transfer of micro plastic derived contaminates to oysters – National Sea grant College
Program (NOAA). $ 20,000.
- Graduate School Economic Development Fellowship (2014): Louisiana State University,
Baton Rouge. $12,500.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2013. Vanadium/Nickel Ratio as a Proxy for Oil Contaminated Sediments
in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. AAPG's Search and Discovery website. Dana Russell
Memorial Grant-in-Aid - American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation (AAPG).
- Outstanding Student Dissertation Award (2015): College of the Coast and Environment,
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge.
- Dr. Theodore "Ted" Ford Scholarship Award for Outstanding PhD Student (2014): College
of the Coast and Environment, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge.
- GOMURC Student Presenter Award (2014, 2013): Gulf of Mexico University Research Collaborative
(GOMURC), Petersburg, Florida.
- Dana Russell Memorial Grant-in-Aid Award (2013): American Association of Petroleum
Geologists Foundation, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- GOMURC Student Travel Award (2013): Gulf of Mexico University Research Collaborative
(GOMURC), Petersburg, Florida.
- Student Travel Award (2015): The Graduate School, Louisiana State University, Baton
- Winner National Science Fair for Mentoring High School Students (2007): Nepal Academy
of Science and Technology (NAST), Lalitpur, Nepal.
- Runner-up National Young Scientist Fair for Mentoring High School Students (2006):
Eureka High School, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Outstanding MS Student (2005): Central Department of Environmental Sciences, Tribhuvan
University, Kirtipur, Nepal.
Scientific and Professional Organizations:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- The Oceanography Society (TOS)
- Environmental Graduates in Himalayan (EGH), Resources Himalaya Foundation
Manuscripts Reviewed for Marine Chemistry, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Environmental
Pollution, FEMS Microbiology Reviews, Water Research, Continental Shelf Research,
Environmental Chemistry, Journal of Coastal Research, Microchemical Journal, Ecotoxicology
and Environmental Safety, Soil and Sediment Contamination An International Journal,
African Journal of Food Science.
Faculty web page
Back to Profile List