Adhikari, Puspa (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D. Chemical Oceanography (Minor in Statistics) Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge – 2015
M.S., Aquaculture and Fisheries (Aquatic Chemistry) University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff – 2011
M.S., Environmental Sciences (Environmental Chemistry) Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal – 2005
B.S., Environmental Sciences (Minor in Chemistry and Biology) Tri-Chandra Multiple College, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal – 2003
Research and Teaching InterestsMarine Chemistry, Environmental chemistry, Petroleum geochemistry and chemical fingerprinting, Organic geochemistry, Sediment biogeochemistry, Radiochemistry.
Courses OfferedOCC 4002C - Marine Chemistry
CHM 1084C - Environmental Chemistry
EVR 4911 - Sr Prj Present Envir Studies
EVR 4920 - CT: Oil Spills Marine Environ
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Bam, W. 2019. Fate of particle-bound polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the river-influenced continental margin of the northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Pollution Bulletin 141, 350-362.
- Bam, W., Hooper-Bui, L.M., Strecker, R.M., Adhikari, P.L, Overton, E.B. 2018. Coupled Effects of Oil Spill and Hurricane on Saltmarsh Terrestrial Arthropods. PLOS ONE 13(4): e0194941.
- Adhikari, P.L., Wong, R.L. and Overton, E.B., 2017. Application of enhanced gas chromatography/triple quadrupole mass spectrometry for monitoring petroleum weathering and forensic source fingerprinting in samples impacted by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Chemosphere 184, 939-950.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Overton, E.B., Brad, E.R., Marx, B.D. 2016. Distribution and Accumulation Rates of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Gulf of Mexico Sediments. Environmental Pollution, 212, 413-423.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Somiddho, B. 2016. 238U-234Th disequilibria as a tracer of vertical flux of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 107, 179-187.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K., Overton, E.B. 2015. Vertical Fluxes of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Chemistry, 168, 60-68.
- Adhikari, P.L., White, J.R., Maiti, K., Nguyen, N. 2015. Phosphorous speciation and sedimentary phosphorous release from the Northern Gulf of Mexico sediments: Implication for Hypoxia. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 164, 77-85.
Full list of Publications:
Conference PresentationsRecent Presentations:
- Overton E.B., Meyer, B.A., Miles, M.S., Adhikari, P.L., Turner, R.E. 2020. Understanding the Fates and Chemical Compositions of Weathered Oil in Coastal Marshes after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, IOSC 2020, MAY 11-14, 2020, New Orleans, LA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Pangeni, D., Overton, E.B, Wong, R. 2019. Evaluation of relative response factors of alkylated PAH homologs using gas chromatography – triple quadrupole mass spectrometry. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference, February 4-7, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Adhikari P.L., Petras, R.M., Gupta, I., Rowe, M., Mbaegbu, M. 2018. Real time measurement of gas composition from live well fluids at drilling site. Goldschmidt Conference, August 12-17, Boston, MA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Maiti, K. 2017. Distribution and transport of particle-bound polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a river-influenced continental margin: the northern Gulf of Mexico. American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, December 11-15, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Overton, E.O., Miles, M.S., Wong, R.L. 2017. How much oil is actually removed by evaporation, photo-oxidation and microbial weathering? The International oil Spill Conference (IOSC), May 15-18, Long Beach, California, USA.
- Adhikari, P.L., Wong, R.L., Overton, E.B. 2017. Application of High Resolution Gas Chromatography/Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry in Multiple Reaction Monitoring Mode (HRGC/MRM) in Petroleum Forensics: Insights from the Sediments Impacted by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. The International oil Spill Conference (IOSC), May 15-18, Long Beach, California, USA.
Grants & Awards
- Muller, J., Adhikari, P.L., Parsons, M., Savarese, M. 2019. Acquisition of a SAGe Well Detector to Support Geoscience Education and Student and Faculty Research at Florida Gulf Coast University. National Science Foundation (NSF) MRI. $180,166.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2019. Application of Radium isotopes to tract Submarine Groundwater Discharge. FGCU Foundation.$5,000.
- Adhikari, P.L., Muller, J., Parsons, M. 2019. The history and management of red tide (harmful algal blooms) in Southwest Florida. FGCU Scholarship-Research Venture Fund. $19,912.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2019. Analysis of micro-plastics and micro-plastic-derived contaminants in South West Florida coastal-marine Sediments. Professional Development Enhancement Award Program, FGCU. $1,000.
- Gupta, I., Adhikari, P.L. 2018. Mass Spectrometry Calibration of Lighter Hydrocarbons from Live Well Fluids. Halliburton. $101, 462.
- Bargu, S., Maiti, K., Adhikari, P.L., et al., 2016-2018. Impacts of ocean acidification on natural phytoplankton communities, oyster development and trophic interactions: Transfer of micro plastic derived contaminates to oysters – National Sea grant College Program (NOAA). $ 20,000.
- Graduate School Economic Development Fellowship (2014): Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. $12,500.
- Adhikari, P.L. 2013. Vanadium/Nickel Ratio as a Proxy for Oil Contaminated Sediments in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. AAPG's Search and Discovery website. Dana Russell Memorial Grant-in-Aid - American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation (AAPG). $1,500.
- Outstanding Student Dissertation Award (2015): College of the Coast and Environment, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge.
- Dr. Theodore "Ted" Ford Scholarship Award for Outstanding PhD Student (2014): College of the Coast and Environment, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge.
- GOMURC Student Presenter Award (2014, 2013): Gulf of Mexico University Research Collaborative (GOMURC), Petersburg, Florida.
- Dana Russell Memorial Grant-in-Aid Award (2013): American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- GOMURC Student Travel Award (2013): Gulf of Mexico University Research Collaborative (GOMURC), Petersburg, Florida.
- Student Travel Award (2015): The Graduate School, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Winner National Science Fair for Mentoring High School Students (2007): Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Lalitpur, Nepal.
- Runner-up National Young Scientist Fair for Mentoring High School Students (2006): Eureka High School, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Outstanding MS Student (2005): Central Department of Environmental Sciences, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Nepal.
Scientific and Professional Organizations:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- The Oceanography Society (TOS)
- Environmental Graduates in Himalayan (EGH), Resources Himalaya Foundation
Manuscripts Reviewed for Marine Chemistry, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Environmental Pollution, FEMS Microbiology Reviews, Water Research, Continental Shelf Research, Environmental Chemistry, Journal of Coastal Research, Microchemical Journal, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, Soil and Sediment Contamination An International Journal, African Journal of Food Science.