Hoetzlein, Rama Karl (PhD)
Back to Profile List
Education2001 Cornell University, Fine Arts (BFA)
2001 Cornell University, Computer Science (BA)
2007 University of California Santa Barbara, Media Arts & Technology (M.Sc)
2010 University of California Santa Barbara, Media Arts & Technology (Ph.D)
Research and Teaching InterestsMy work focuses on creative expression in design and animation. My research explores the topics of character animation and natural visual effects. This work explores motion as a way to capture human activity both physically and socially, and studies simulated visual effects to understand nature as a living, cooperative system. My teaching emphasizes meaning, cultural appreciation and quality in visual design and 3D animation.
Courses OfferedDigital Media Design I (ART 2600)
Digital Media Design II (ART 3614)
Interactive Design I (ART 3664)
Interactive Design II (DIG 4553)
Professional Design Practice (DIG 3595)
Special Topics in Design (DIG 4930)
Video Game Design (ART 3640)
Video Game Design II (DIG 4713)
- Legrady, G. and Hoetzlein, R. (2019) Making Visible the Invisible: A Data-Driven Media Artwork in Continuous Operation for 15 years. SIGGRAPH Arts Program, Short Papers. July 2019.
- Hoetzlein, R. (2012) Visual Communication in Times of Crisis: The Fukushima Nuclear Accident, Leonardo Journal of Arts, Science and Technology. April 2012.
- E. Chuck, R. Hoetzlein, D. Kim, J. Panko. (2012) Creating Socially Networked Knowledge through Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Arts & Humanities in Higher Education: An international journal of theory, research and practice, Vol. 11, No. 1-2. Feb/April 2012.
- Hoetzlein, R. (2012) Imagination in Media Arts: Technological Constraints and Creative Freedom. Ph.D Dissertation, Dec 2011. University of California Santa Barbara
- Hoetzlein, R. (2009) Alternatives to Author-centric Knowledge Organization. Implementing New Knowledge Environments (INKE 2009). Victoria, Canada.
- Hoetzlein, R. (2007) The Organization of Human Knowledge: Systems for Interdisciplinary Research. Master's Thesis. University of California Santa Barbara
- Kui Wu, Nghia Truong, Cem Yuksel, Rama Hoetzlein (2018) Fast Fluid Simulation with Sparse Volumes on the GPU. Eurographics 2018. Delft, Netherlands
- Hoetzlein, R. (2018) GVDB Voxels for 3D Printing, Scientific Data and Motion Pictures. Vision Day Conference, 2018. DTU University, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Hoetzlein, R. (2016) GVDB: Raytracing Sparse Voxel Database Structures on the GPU. High Performance Graphics (HPG), June 2016. Dublin, Ireland.
- Hoetzlein, R. (2016) Raytracing Scientific Data in NVIDIA® OptiX with GVDB Sparse Volumes. GPU Technology Conference (GTC), March 2016. Santa Clara, CA
- Hoetzlein, R. (2014) Fast Fixed-Radius Nearest Neighbors: Interactive Million Particle-Fluids GPU Technology Conference, March 2014. Santa Clara, CA. http://fluids3.com
- Hoetzlein, R and Schwartz, D. (2005) GameX: A Platform for Incremental Instruction in Computer Graphics and Game Design. ACM SIGGRAPH Educators Program 2005.
Grants & Awards
- Research Start-up Grant (2019), Florida Gulf Coast University, Bowers School of Music & Arts
- Senior Fellow (2019), Hewlett-Packard Inc.
- Grant Co-Director (2012), National Endowment of the Humanities, Transliteracies, with Alan Liu
- NSF IGERT (2004-2006), Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship, National Science Foundation
- Recognition Award for Teaching (2004). First course in video games, Cornell University.