Steineker, Rowan (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D., History, University of Oklahoma, Norman OK, 2011-2016
M.A., History, University of Oklahoma, Norman OK, 2009-2011
B.A., History & Anthropology, Westminster College, Fulton MO, 2006-2009
SpecialtiesTeaching Interests: Digital Humanities, Public History, American History
Research Interests: History of the American West, Native American History, Education History
Courses OfferedDigital Humanities
United States History since 1877
- “'Fully Equal To That of any Children': Experimental Creek Education in the Antebellum Era," History of Education Quarterly, Volume 56, Number 2, Summer 2016, 273-300. (Winner of the History of Education Society’s Henry Barnard Prize)
- “Beyond Boarding Schools: Histories of Native American Institutions and Social Services in the United States,” review of Carla Joinson, Vanished in Hiawatha: The Story of the Canton Asylum for Insane Indians (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2016); Julie L. Reed, Serving the Nation: Cherokee Sovereignty and Social Welfare, 1800-1907 (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2016), in Reviews in American History, Volume 45, Number 3, September 2017, 410-415.
- Western History Association, 2018, "Reimagining the Way We Teach Research"
- Native American and Indigenous Studies Association, 2017, "Youth-in-States: The Muscogee Nation's Nineteenth-Century College Education Program"
- History of Education Society, 2015, "Fully Equal to That of Any Children: Experimental Creek Education in the Antebellum Era"
Grants & AwardsNational Academy of Education/Spencer Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2018-2019
University of Central Oklahoma, Faculty On-Campus Regular Grant, 2017-2018
History of Education Society's 2017 Eggertsen Dissertation Prize (Honorable Mention)
National Academy of Education/Spencer Institute Dissertation Fellowship, 2015-2016