Thornhill, Ted (PhD)
Back to Profile List
Ph.D. Sociology, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2011
M.A. Sociology, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2009
M.S. Applied Social Research, Florida State University, 2005
B.A. Sociology (Certificate in Ethnic Studies), Florida Atlantic University, 2003
A.A. Liberal Arts, Palm Beach Community College, 2001
Research and Teaching Interests
Race and Racism, Critical Race Theory, African Americans, Higher Education
Courses OfferedSYG 2000: Introduction to Sociology
SYO 3530: Social Stratification
SYD 3730: The African American Experience
SYD 3771: White Racism
SYP 3774: Racism and Law Enforcement
Journal Articles, Book Chapters, and Reviews
- “We Want Black Students, Just Not You: How White Admissions Counselors Screen Black Prospective Students,” Sociology of Race and Ethnicity, 2019, 5(4): 456–470.
- “Resurrecting Slavery: Racial Legacies and White Supremacy in France by C.M. Fleming,” American Journal of Sociology, 2018, 124(3): 925-927.
- “‘If People Stopped Talking about Race it wouldn’t be a Problem Anymore’: Silencing the Myth of a Colorblind Society” pp. 45-59, In S. McClure & C. Harris (Eds.), Getting Real about Race, 2nd Edition, 2018. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- “Resistance and Assent: How Racial Socialization Shapes Black Students’ Experience Learning African American History in High School,” Urban Education, 2016, 51(9): 1126-1151.
- “Racial Salience and the Consequences of Making White People Uncomfortable: Intra-Racial Discrimination, Racial Screening, and the Maintenance of White Supremacy,” Sociology Compass, 2015, 9(8): 694-703.
- “Racism.” In C.E. Cortes & G.J. Golson (Eds.), Multicultural America: A Multicultural Encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. 2013, 1795-1798.
- “African Americans and the Marijuana Legalization Paradox: Do Race-Specific Murder Victimization Rates and Race-Specific Drug Arrest Rates Explain It?” Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice, 2011, 9(2): 110-135.
Grants & Awards
- Campus Sustainability Research Award, The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (2019)
- McTarnaghan Excellence in Teaching Award (awarded to one faculty member annually), FGCU Student Government (2018)
- Meant to Mentors: Recognizing Exceptional Research Mentors, Office of Undergraduate Scholarship, FGCU (2018)
- Eagles R.I.S.E. Recipient, Office of Multicultural and Leadership Development, FGCU (2017)
- Woodrow Wilson Career Enhancement Fellowship, Honorable Mention (2014)
- TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) Faculty Recognition Recipient, St. Olaf College (2013)
- TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) Outstanding Professor Award, St. Olaf College (2012)
- Outstanding Graduate Instructor, Department of Sociology, UMass–Amherst (2008-2009)