After applying to FGCU, do I have to apply to the Honors College or will I be automatically accepted?
For new, first-time-in-college students (freshmen), if you are accepted to FGCU before February and meet the academic criteria listed on our Admission page, we will contact you with your invitation to apply or your invitation to accept your seat for the following Fall. Invitations are mailed to the home address you provided when applying to FGCU and are sent out in batches between November and February each year.
For new Transfer students or current FGCU students, if you meet the academic criteria listed on our Admission page, we will email your invitation to apply to your EagleEmail account within the first two weeks of the semester.
What are the GPA & SAT/ACT requirements for the Honors College as an incoming first-year student?
- Incoming first-year students with a 3.9 weighted GPA and a 28 ACT or 1320 SAT are automatically offered a seat in the Honors College. Students with a 3.5 weighted GPA and ACT of 25 and above or SAT of 1220 or above may apply by invitation only.
If I raise my GPA or test scores after my initial invitation to apply, will I receive an updated invitation to automatically accept my seat in Honors?
- If FGCU Office of Admissions receives updated SAT or ACT scores before February that now qualify you for automatic admission to Honors, we will send you an updated admission letter inviting you to automatically accept your seat in Honors for the following fall. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept updated GPA information and will only use your weighted GPA at the time of your initial application to FGCU.
I got accepted into the Honors College. What now?
- Congratulations! Now, you just need to be sure to check your email regularly as we will continue to send you important information and updates before the start of the academic year. Since most of our important communication is sent via emial, be sure to update our office if your preferred email changes, especially if you use your High School's email system, which you may not be able to access after you graduate.
Is Honors housing mandatory?
All incoming first-year Honors students have the option to live in our Honors Living-Learning Community (LLC) in FGCU’s South Village. The Honors community is located on the fifth floor of Palmetto Hall and houses the majority of our first-year Honors students. If you choose to live in the Honors community, you will be able to easily connect with the other Honors students in your year, and you will also have the benefit of participating in the one-hour per week Honors Living-Learning course, which connects students to the best features of Honors at FGCU, such as undergraduate research, study abroad, service learning, nationally competitive scholarships, leadership opportunities, and more. Living on campus in the Honors community is not a requirement, but is encouraged of all first-year Honors students.
Honors Housing for students who are not first-time-in-college is located in FGCU’s North Lake Village in close proximity to Eagle’s Landing and the lakefront picnic and recreation area, and is directly on the waterfront. The Honors Building is a 96-bed, apartment-style residential building. Students living in The Honors Building have their own private bedrooms and extensive amenities.
Do I have to attend Eagle View Orientation AND Honors Orienation?
- Yes. Eagle View Orientation (EVO) is FGCU’s mandatory orientation for all new FGCU students. All new students are required to attend an Eagle View Orientation session before your first semester of classes. Any questions regarding EVO should be directed to FGCU’s Office of New Student Programs at 239-590-7875 or email@example.com. In addition to attending Eagle View Orientation, all new Honors students are also required to attend Honors Orientation. For first-time-in-college students, Honors Orientation will take place after move-in in August, so you do not need to plan an additional trip to FGCU over the summer.
What are the requirements to apply to the Honors College if I am a current student at FGCU?
- If you have completed at least 12 and less than 60 FGCU credit hours and have a 3.5 or higher GPA, you will receive an invitation to apply to the Honors College. If you have at 3.5 or higher GPA but have completed more than 60 credit hours and are interested in applying, we recommend that you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read our full admission process for current students on our Future Students page.
I’m in the Honors College now, does this mean that Honors will show up on my diploma?
- At the time of graduation, if you are in good standing with Honors and have successfully completed the academic requirements and have a minimum 3.50 GPA, your transcript will show the "Graduated with Honors" designation.
What are the Honors Experiences?
- There are 5 Experiences: Liberal Arts, Study Abroad, Service, Research and the Honors Contract Experience. Students are required to complete two experiences prior to graduating. There are many opportunities on how to complete them.
What is an Honors Mentor?
- An Honors Mentor is an Honors student who was once where you are and is able and happy to help you navigate your way through FGCU and Honors. They are a peer mentor, not a tutor. They will help you acclimate, organize, get involved, get connected, or simply find the right office! They will meet with you throughout your first year in the Honors College. All incoming first-time-in-college students in the Honors College are required to participate in the Mentoring Program.
If I’m not a first-time-in-college student can I still have an Honors Mentor?
- Yes. If you would like an Honors Mentor, please contact the Honors Office for more information.
Does the Honors College host events?
- Honors Events are an important component of our experience-based learning philosophy. They are an opportunity for Honors students to experience diverse opportunities at FGCU, engage in and lead activities exemplifying the Elements of Honors, and build community with fellow Honors students as well as the greater FGCU community. Read more about Honors Events and check out the event calendar.
Do I receive priority registration once I am accepted into the college?
Yes. Honors students in good standing are granted priority registration to ensure ease of course registration. Typically, students’ registration dates are determined by the number of credit hours they have completed, allowing students closer to graduation to register earlier than other undergraduates. However, Honors students in good standing are allowed to register on the same date as seniors with earned credit hours of 110 and above. Read more about all of the benefits of being an Honors student on our Benefits of Honors page.
Could I be put on Honors probation?
- Yes, if your GPA drops below a 3.3. You should consult with advising if you feel this is going to happen.