Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advisory to Protect The Nest:

FGCU continuously monitors the latest information from health officials and shares details on the Coronavirus Updates website. Get details including helpful FAQs. Students, faculty and staff, remember to complete the FGCU Daily Health Screening App every day before coming to campus (239-590-1206 for technical and other support related to the Screening). COVID-19 rules apply to campus visitors.

Learn More

LCSW Licensure Information

All applicable FGCU academic programs prepare students for licensure in the State of Florida. Requirements for licensure and certification vary by profession and by state. Students should check the licensure requirements for the state they plan to work in before enrollment at FGCU. Please review our State Authorization webpage to determine whether your program meets licensure requirements in your state.

In the State of Florida, there is currently one form of licensure for social workers: Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). The requirements for licensure include:

  • Holding a Master's degree in social work with specified coursework;
  • Two years of supervision after graduation;
  • Completion of an 8-hour Florida Laws and Rules course; and
  • Successful completion of the Clinical national exam from the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB).

Recent graduates of social work programs who plan to pursue licensure in Florida should become Registered Interns with the State of Florida while obtaining supervision. For more information on this process, please visit the National Association of Social Workers - Florida Chapter website at

Graduates of the FGCU program will need a letter from the department to support their application. To obtain this letter, you must:

  • Obtain a File Number from the Licensing Board. This will be provided when you begin your initial application.  We must have this File Number to complete a letter for you.
  • Download and complete the Request for Verification of MSW Graduation and Internship form. The form can be sent via email to We will complete the letter within 1 week of receipt and send it to the Licensing Board via email with a copy sent to the email address you provide on the form.

The State of Florida does not offer reciprocity for those licensed in other states, however, social workers interested in obtaining Florida licensure may apply for Licensure by Endorsement or Examination. These applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine if the requirements for Florida license have been met. A social worker in the state temporarily or in the process of obtaining Licensure by Endorsement may practice in the State of Florida by applying for a provisional license.

Applications for Registered Interns, Licensure by Endorsement, and Provisional Licensure may be obtained by contacting the Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling by calling (850) 245-4474 or visiting their website at