The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Elementary Education is designed to prepare students for teaching in Florida's elementary schools and for certification by the Florida Department of Education as elementary school teachers (K through grade six). The program of study includes coursework and extensive experience in elementary school settings throughout the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate theory with teaching practice.
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a College of Education (COE) major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all credits attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Block Four (Level I) Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Block Five (Level II) Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits at the upper division (3000-4999 level).
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement.
- Satisfy the residency requirement: 30 of the last 60 credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Complete the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX085
FGCU Course: EME 2040 Intro to Tech in Educ. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EMEX040
- Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required
EDE 4940 Internship: Elementary Ed (9)
EDE 4942 Integrated Field Exp; Elem. Ed (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
LAE 4416 Children's Literature (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content and Processes (3)
RED 4942 Pract Access/Instruc Read (3) Capstone
SCE 4310 Science Methods (3)
SSE 4343 Social Sciences and Humanities (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Meth, Curric, & Instruc Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree