- Ph.D. Philosophy, University of South Florida
- M.A. Philosophy, University of Utah
- B.A. Philosophy, Idaho State University
- Philosophy of Health and Illness
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- PHP 3786 Existentialism
- PHM 3101 Philosophies of Liberation
- PHI 3223 Philosophy of Human Communication
- PHI 3456 Philosophy of Health and Illness
- PHI 4938 Capstone Seminar in Philosophy
- PHP 4930 Major Figures in Philosophy
- PHI 3930 Special Topics in Philosophy
- One Beat More: Existentialism and the Gift of Mortality
- Contexts of Suffering: A Heideggerian Approach to Psychopathology (Rowman and Littlefield, 2019)
- Existential Medicine: Essays on Health and Illness, K. Aho (ed.) (Rowman and Littlefield, 2018)
- Existentialism: An Introduction (Polity, 2014)
- Heidegger’s Neglect of the Body (SUNY Press, 2010)
- Body Matters: A Phenomenology of Sickness, Disease, and Illness, with James Aho (Lexington Books, 2009)
- Dostoevsky’s Notes from the Underground, K. Aho and C. Guignon (eds.) (Hackett, 2009)
- Recent Articles and Chapters
- “’We’re protecting them to death’—A Heideggerian Interpretation of Loneliness among Older Adults in Long-Term Care Facilities during COVID-19,” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, 2022
- “Ek-sistenz,” The Cambridge Heidegger Lexicon, M. Wrathall (ed.) (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2022)
- “The Uncanny in the Time of Pandemics: Heideggerian Reflections on the Coronavirus,” Gatherings: The Heidegger Circle Annual, Vol. 10, 2020. Reprinted in Existential Analysis Vol. 32(1), 2021.
- “Gadamer and Health,” The Gadamerian Mind, T. George and G-J van der Heiden (eds.) (London: Routledge, 2021)
- “The Contraction of Time and Existential Awakening: A Phenomenology of Authentic Aging,” The Evening of Life: The Challenges of Aging and Dying Well, J. Davis (ed.) (Notre Dame, IN: Notre Dame University Press, 2020)
- “Heidegger on melancholia, deep boredom, and the inability-to-be,” Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology, Vol. 27(3), 2020
- “Notes from a Heart Attack: A Phenomenology of an Altered Body,” Phenomenology of a Broken Body, E. Dahl, C. Falke, and E. Erikson (eds.) (Routledge, 2019)
- "Dostoevsky, Existential Therapy, and Modern Rage: On the Possibility of Counseling the Underground Man." Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 2019.
- Authenticity and Social Critique,” with Charles Guignon, The Cambridge Companion of Philosophy, 1945-2015, K. Becker and I. Thomson (eds.) (Cambridge University Press, 2019)
- “Temporal Experience in Anxiety: Embodiment, Selfhood, and the Collapse of Meaning,” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, 2018.
- “Affectivity and its Disorders,” Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology, G. Stanghellini, M. Broome, P. Fusar-Poli, A. Raballo, R. Rosfort, and A. Fernandez (eds.) (Oxford University Press, 2018).
- Neurasthenia Revisited: On Medically Unexplained Syndromes and the Value of Hermeneutic Medicine,” Journal of Applied Hermeneutics, 2018.