- PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University
- MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering, concentration in Infrastructure Planning and Management, Stanford University
- BS in Civil and Urban Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- BA in English, University of Pennsylvania
- Water quality assessment; watershed assessment and management
- Pollutant source assessment and analysis
- Stormwater runoff pollutant control and management
- Effectiveness assessment for local, regional, state, and federal environmental policies and regulations
- Flood mitigation technologies, policies, and programs for flood-resilient and sustainable communities
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching Interests
- Water resources planning and management
- Environmental policy critical review and analysis
- Virtual communication of science and science policy
- Research methods, analysis, and critical assessment for undergraduate researchers
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- Introduction to Environmental Policy, lower-division intro for freshmen and sophomores
- Water Resources Science and Policy, upper-division specialty course for seniors
- Effective Virtual Communication of Science, cross-disciplinary course for all majors
- Senior Project Research in Environmental Studies and Senior Research Presentation in Environmental Studies
- Florida's Water Wars, cross-disciplinary course for non-science majors
- Scientific Basis for Water Quality Policy, graduate specialty course
- Environmental Policy, graduate survey course
- Davis, Allen P.; Stephanie E. Johnson; Roger T. Bannerman; Shirley E. Clark; L. Donald Duke; Janet S. Kieler; John D. Stark; Michael K. Stenstrom; and Xavier Swamikannu, February 2019. Improving the EPA Multi-Sector General Permit for Industrial Stormwater Discharges: A Consensus Study Report of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press.
- Fowler, Lara; Duke, L. Donald; Baxter, Ryan; Colby, Scott; Kelly, Maurie; Kellie-Slatten, Kayla; Zipp, Katherine; and Weitzel, Michele, April 2018. Final Report: Flood Mitigation for Pennsylvania's Rural Communities: Community-Scale Impact of Federal Policies. L D Duke was lead author for the 70-page section, "Case Study Analyses for Eight Pennsylvania Rural Communities and Recommendations for Statewide and Federal Policies." 210 pages.
- Duke, L. Donald (general editor), 2016. Proactive Flood and Drought Management, Volume II: A Selection of Applied Strategies and Lessons Learned from Around the United States. Peer-reviewed white paper. L D Duke was lead author for the sections "Fort Collins Flood Mitigation Strategies," "Susquehanna River PA Small Towns Strategies," "Hillsborough River and Florida statewide Minimum Flows and Levels," and "A Brief History of US Federal Flood Strategies." American Water Resources Association, Middleburg VA: April 2016. 95 pages.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- Estero River Bacteria-Nutrient Source Identification
- Bacteria Source Identification for Imperial River and Spring Creek
- Drainage, Stormwater Management, and Flood Mitigation: Improving Readiness for Future Storm Events for the Village of Estero, FL
- Flood Mitigation for Pennsylvania's Rural Communities: Community-Scale Impact of Federal Policies
- Flood Control Strategies by Small Municipalities in the Central Susquehanna River Floodplain
Professional awards and recognitions:
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Committee on Improving the Next-Generation EPA Multi-Sector General Permit for Industrial Stormwater Discharges, 2017 – 2018
- Fulbright Scholar, Environmental Research Institute, University of Iceland, 2003
- Board of Directors, American Water Resources Association Florida Section, 2008-present
- Board of Directors, American Water Resources Association national organization, 2014-2017
- Southwest Florida Water Resources Conference organizing committee, 2008 – present. Conference Chair, 2009; 2010; 2011; 2016; 2020; 2021.
- National Conference Co-Chair, American Water Resources Association 2021 Water Resources Conference, Orlando FL: November 2021.
- National Conference Co-Chair, American Water Resources Association 2020 Water Resources Conference, all-virtual: November 2020.
- Technical Program Co-Chair, American Water Resources Association 2016 Water Resources Conference, Orlando FL: November 2016.