As faculty at FGCU, Lyndsay Rhodes splits her time between her two career passions,
teaching and research. For almost two decades Lyndsay Rhodes has been dedicated to
cancer research and uncovering the underlying molecular mechanisms driving these insidious
diseases. Her research in breast cancer specifically has spanned molecular and cellular
techniques from in vitro cell culture, to animal models, to big data bioinformatics
analysis. However, the central theme of her research has remained the same; to understand
the interactions driving cancer in order to develop better therapeutics for patient
Lyndsay Rhodes' current research interests include development of natural compounds
for therapy, understanding the role of non-coding RNA in cancer regulation, and exploring
the role of the extracellular matrix composition and architecture in the progression
Lyndsay Rhodes has mentored over 50 undergraduate research students who have gone
on to pursue successful careers in all areas of biology. Engaging students in authentic
research experiences, involving them in all areas of the scientific process, is key
to training the next generation of cancer researchers, and is paramount to furthering
our understanding of cancer.
- Ph.D. in Molecular and Cell Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine
- B.S. in Biology and B.A. in Psychology, Pfeiffer University
- Breast cancer biology
- Non-coding RNA
- Animal models of cancer
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- BSC 4930 Special Topics in Biology: Cancer Biology
- BSC 4900/4905 Directed Independent Study/Research
- BSC 4910C Senior Project I: Research
- BSC 4911 Senior Project II: Presentation
- ISC 3120C Scientific Process
- PCB 3023C Cell Biology
- PCB 4783C Cell Membrane Physiology
Selected Scholarly Works (* denotes undergraduate author)
- Hope E. Burks*, Margarite D. Matossian*, Lyndsay V. Rhodes, Theresa Phamduy, Steven
Elliott, Aaron Buechlein, Doug B. Rusch, David F. B. Miller, Kenneth P. Nephew, Douglas
Chrisey, Bridgette M. Collins-Burow, and Matthew E. Burow. ZEB2 regulates endocrine
therapy sensitivity and metastasis in luminal A breast cancer cells through a non-canonical
mechanism, Breast Cancer Research & Treatment 2021, 189(1): 25-37. PMID: 34231077
- Margarite Matossian, Steven Elliott, Lyndsay V. Rhodes, Elizabeth C. Martin, Van T.
Hoang, Hope E. Burks, William J. Zuercher, David H. Drewry, Bridgette M. Collins-Burow,
and Matthew E. Burow. Application of a small molecule inhibitor screen approach to
identify CXCR4 downstream signaling pathways that promote a mesenchymal and fulvestrant-resistant
phenotype in breast cancer cells, Oncology Letters 2021, 21(5): 380. PMID: 33777204
- Margarite D Matossian, Hope E Burks, Steven Elliott, Van T Hoang, Annie C Bowles,
Rachel A Sabol, Bahia Wahba, Muralidharan Anbalagan, Brian Rowan, Mohamed E Abazeed,
Bruce A Bunnell, Krzysztof Moroz, Lucio Miele, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Steven D Jones, Elizabeth
C Martin, Bridgette M Collins-Burow, Matthew E Burow. Drug resistance profiling of
a new triple negative breast cancer patient-derived xenograft model, BMC Cancer 2019,
- Xylia J Horgan*, Hannah Tatum*, Emily Brannan*, Daniel H Paull, Lyndsay V Rhodes.
Resveratrol analogues surprisingly effective against triple‑negative breast cancer,
independent of ERα, Oncology Reports 2019, 41(6): 3517-3526.
- Jesse Champer*, Sarah Cushion*, Sierra King*, Carlee Rushlow*, Bertin Cenatus*, Lyndsay
V. Rhodes. Effects of Resveratrol Analogues on Danio rerio Mortality and Embryonic
Development, Eastern Biologist Special Edition; Zebrafish as a Model System for Research
and Teaching 2019, 1: 90-100.
- Margarite D Matossian, Hope E Burks, Annie C Bowles, Steven Elliott, Van T Hoang,
Rachel A Sabol, Nicholas C Pashos, Benjamen O'Donnell, Kristin S Miller, Bahia M Wahba,
Bruce A Bunnell, Krzysztof Moroz, Arnold H Zea, Steven D Jones, Augusto C Ochoa, Amir
A Al-Khami, Fokhrul Hossain, Adam I Riker, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Elizabeth C Martin, Lucio
Miele, Matthew E Burow, Bridgette M Collins-Burow. A novel patient-derived xenograft
model for claudin-low triple-negative breast cancer, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment
2018, 169(2): 381-390.
- Adrienne K Conger, Elizabeth C Martin, Thomas J Yan, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Van T Hoang,
Jacqueline La, Muralidharan Anbalagan, Hope E Burks, Brian G Rowan, Kenneth P Nephew,
Bridgette M Collins-Burow, Matthew E Burow. Argonaute 2 expression correlates with
a luminal B breast cancer subtype and induces estrogen receptor alpha isoform variation.
Non-coding RNA 2016, 2(3): 8.
- Lyndsay V Rhodes, Elizabeth C Martin, H Chris Segar, David F B Miller, Aaron Buechlein,
Doug Rusch, Kenneth P Nephew, Matthew E Burow, Bridgette M Collins-Burow. Dual regulation
by microRNA-200b-3p and microRNA-200b*-5p in the inhibition of epithelial-to-mesenchymal
transition in triple-negative breast cancer. Oncotarget 2015, 6(18): 16638.
- Lyndsay V Rhodes, Chandra R Tate, Van T Hoang, Hope E Burks, Diari Gilliam*, Elizabeth
C Martin, Steven Elliott, David B Miller, Aaron Buechlein, Douglas B Rusch, Haixu
Tang, Kenneth P Nephew, Matthew E Burow, Bridget M Collins-Burow. Regulation of triple-negative
breast cancer cell metastasis by the tumor suppressor Liver Kinase B1. Oncogenesis
2015, 4(10): e168.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- FGCU Excellence in Mentoring Award (2020-2021)