Von Cannon, Michael (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D. in English, Louisiana State University, 2016
M.A. in Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture, University of York, 2009
B.A. in English, Palm Beach Atlantic University, 2006
Research and Teaching InterestsModernism, World Literature, War Writing, Literary and Cultural Theory, Literature and the Environment, Visual Culture, Composition
- “The Incest Plot: Melancholic Nationalism in H.D.’s Kora and Ka and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender is the Night.” F. Scott Fitzgerald Review 16 (2018): 38-59.
- “A Tale of Optics: Poe, Visual Culture, and Antebellum Literary Celebrity.” Poe Studies: History, Theory, Interpretation 47 (2014): 36-54.
- “Traumatizing Arcadia: Postwar Pastoral in The Sun Also Rises.” The Hemingway Review 32.1 (Fall 2012): 57-71.
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway,” with Krista Quesenberry. American Literary Scholarship: An Annual—2017. Ed. Gary Scharnhorst. (forthcoming: 10,000 words)
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual—2016. Ed. David J. Nordloh. Durham: Duke UP. 153-70.
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual—2015. Ed. Gary Scharnhorst. Durham: Duke UP. 153-75.
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual—2014. Ed. David J. Nordloh. Durham: Duke UP. 165-86.
- “F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway,” with Joe Fruscione. American Literary Scholarship: An Annual—2013. Ed. Gary Scharnhorst. Durham: Duke UP. 175-89.
- Rev. of Teaching Hemingway and Modernism, ed. Joseph Fruscione. The Hemingway Review 36.2 (Spring 2017): 135-38.
- Rev. of Hemingway’s Dark Night: Catholic Influences and Intertextualities in the Work of Ernest Hemingway, by Matthew Nickel. The Hemingway Review 33.2 (Spring 2014): 151-54.
- “Siegfried Sassoon.” Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Peer-reviewed.
- “Vorticism.” Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Peer-reviewed.
- “Interview with Colin Peter Field, Head Bartender at the Ritz Paris’s Bar Hemingway.” The Hemingway Review Blog. 9 August 2017.
- “How to Count Style: An Interview with Justin Rice from LitCharts.” The Hemingway Review Blog. 28 March 2017.
- The Darkest Nation: World War I and the Rise of Modernist American Melancholia (monograph)
- The Letters of Ernest Hemingway: 1957-1961. Edited with J. Gerald Kennedy and Valerie Hemingway. Cambridge: Cambridge UP.
- “Balancing Acts: Academia’s Gendered Cost of Living” Roundtable, 134th Annual Modern Language Association Conference, January 9-12, 2020. (accepted)
- “Fascism on the rue de Fleurus: Stein, Place, and Politics,” 18th Biennial Hemingway Conference, American University of Paris, July 22-28, 2018.
- “Hemingway, Dada, Utopia: Some Divine Gestures,” 17th Biennial Hemingway Conference, July 17-22, 2016.
- “The Devil’s Disciple in the American West: Hemingway versus Ford,” 131st Annual Modern Language Association Convention, January 7-10, 2016.
- “The Celluloid Tomb: William Faulkner’s A Fable,” 16th. Annual Modernist Studies Association Conference, November 6-9, 2014.
- “Media, Magazines, and Modern Warfare.” 16th Biennial Hemingway Conference, Venice International University, June 22-27, 2014.
- “Icebergs are also Deadly: Postwar Mourning and Hemingway’s In Our Time,” 16th Biennial Hemingway Conference, Venice International University, June 22-27, 2014.
- “Dark Waters: The Problems with Self-Reflection in ‘The Battler’,” 15th Biennial Hemingway Conference, June 17-23, 2012.
- “Death of a Furniture Dealer: Ford Madox Ford’s A Man Could Stand Up—,” 22nd Annual Mardi Gras Conference, Louisiana State University, February 16-17, 2012.
- Traumatizing Arcadia: Postwar Pastoral in Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises,” 21st Annual Mardi Gras Conference, Louisiana State University, March 3-4, 2011.
Grants & Awards
- Scholarship-Research Venture Capital Fund Recipient, FGCU, 2019
- Integrating Sustainability Across the Curriculum Academy Member, FGCU, 2018
- THATCamp Digital Humanities Workshop Award, FGCU, 2017
- Dean's Graduate Summer Institute Member, LSU, 2016
- Distinguished Dissertation Award Nominee, LSU, 2016
- Dissertation-Year Fellowship, LSU, 2015-16
- Sarah Liggett Teaching Award, LSU, 2015
- Modernist Studies Association Travel Grant, 2014
- JFK Library Foundation Hemingway Collection Grant, 2014
- Jim and Nancy Hinkle Travel Grant, Hemingway Society, 2014
- Travel Award, Graduate School, LSU, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Travel Award, Department of English, LSU, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Jim and Nancy Hinkle Travel Grant, Hemingway Society, 2012
Advisory Editor. Hemingway Letters Project. 2018-.
Co-Host of Hemingway Podcast. The Hemingway Society. 2018-.
Member of Steering Committee for Cuba Conference. The Hemingway Society. 2016-.
News Coordinator. The Hemingway Society. 2016-.
Referee. The Hemingway Review. 2015-.
Member of Advisory Council of Younger Scholars. The Hemingway Society. 2014-.