Walch, Mary (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D. in Communication Arts and Sciences, the Pennsylvania State University, 2004
M.A. in Communication, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 1993
B.A. in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 1988
SpecialtiesHer teaching and research focus on rhetorical theory and criticism, environmental communication, pedagogy, the Earth Charter, media ecology and social change.
Courses OfferedEcological Communication
Principles of Public Relations
Honors: Ecological Communication
Public Relations Writing
Principles of Rhetoric and Argumentation
Public Relations Campaigns
History of Rhetorical Theory
Foundations of Civic Engagement
- General Semantics Bulletin, 2009/2010, Vol. 76/77. "Invitational Rhetoric and the Development of the Earth Charter"
- The Teaching Portfolio: A Practical guide to Improved Performance and Promotion/Tenure Decisions, Seldin, Peter, 4th edition, San Francisco, CA: Anker Publishing. Contributed a chapter to the newest edition, released in 2010.
- Florida Communication Journal, Spring 2008, Vol. 37, No. 1 Looking for "truth" through a Burkean Lens: Synecdoche and Scapegoating in "Secrets [of a Tobacco Executive]"
- Conference on Communication and the Environment 2015, Boulder, CO, June 11-14, 2015. Sponsored by the International Environmental Communication Association. "Ecological Communication: Bridging Media Ecology and Environmental Communication"
- Media Ecology Association Convention, Denver, CO, June 11-14, 2015. "Reclaiming a Sense of Place: Media Ecology and Environmental Communication"
- Celebrating the Earth Charter +15 (invited keynote speech), Gainesville, FL, June 28, 2015. Hosted by the Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice. "Celebrating the Earth Charter: Seeking Inspiration, Sharing Stories"
- International Listening Association, Minneapolis, Minnesota, March 27-29, 2014. "Listening Across the Generations: Telling our Stories"
- New Directions in the Humanities, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain, June 2011. "Unchained: A creative Humanities Approach for Breaking the Chains of the Consumption Narrative"
- Florida Communication Association, Orlando, FL, October 2010. "MacLust: Creating Desire, Promising Connection in Apple's Advertising and Promotion"
- Humanities and Sustainability Conference, Florida Gulf Coast University, October 2010. "From Ideal to Analytical Tool: The Earth Charter as a Lens into Popular Culture and Cultural Narrative"