Dr. Shawn D. Felton is currently the Interim Dean of Marieb College of Health & Human Services (MCHHS). In most recent years he has held the positions of Co-Acting Dean, Associate Dean and the Department Chair of Health Sciences in the MCHHS at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU). Prior to Dr. Felton returning to FGCU in August 2019, he served as Department Chair of Athletic Training and Director of the Doctor of Athletic Training (DAT) Program at Florida International University (FIU) . The DAT program, launched by Dr. Felton, was the first of its kind in the state of Florida with only six nationwide. Before his appointment at FIU, he served from September 2005 till August 2018, as an Associate Professor at FGCU. In addition to his faculty responsibilities, he served four years and 3 months as the Faculty Senate President and University Trustee and was the Vice Chairman for FGCU Board of Trustees (BOT), from January 2016 till March 2017. In addition, he was appointed the Chairman of a Special committee of the FGCU BOT charged with developing the 2016-2021 FGCU Strategic Plan.
He has also served on and chaired committees supporting the Florida Board of Governors (BOG). Specifically, he has been appointed to several task forces and committees by the BOG, which continues to facilitate the development of online education within the state of Florida. Shawn was the only faculty member on the online education strategic plan and chaired the quality assurance sub committee. Within this role, the appointed committee developed a strategic plan for online education in the state of Florida. He was Vice Chairman of the Advisory Council of Faculty Senates for two years and assumed the Chair position in August 2018, which ultimately appointed him as a Governor on the Florida Board of Governors.
Dr. Felton graduated from West Virginia University with a BS in Athletic Training and received his Masters of Education from the University of Louisville (U of L). He went on to earn his Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration from the University of Florida. Dr. Felton began his professional career as a graduate assistant at U of L before being promoted to the Assistant Football Athletic Trainer.
He is a huge Jimmy Buffett fan (attending over 30 shows) who enjoys golf, relaxing at the beach, and the Florida Keys.
- American College of Sports Medicine
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- Southeast Athletic Trainers’ Association
- Athletic Trainers’ Association of Florida
- Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions
- Advisory Council of Faculty Senates for Florida State University System (SUS)
- Dr. Felton was the Assistant Athletic Trainer for the University of Louisville.
- Dr. Felton was the Athletic Training Coordinator for Naples Community Hospital prior to his appointment at FGCU.
- American Red Cross-Board of Directors
- Lee County Heart Walk-Executive Leadership Team
- Healthy Lee-Executive Committee & Steering Committee