EducationToggle EducationPh.D, Statistics, Florida State University (2014)
SpecialtiesToggle SpecialtiesHigh dimensional statistics, image and signal processing, wavelet transforms.
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching InterestsDr. Girimurugan (affectionately know to many as BeeJay) focuses on teaching that prepares a student for their future, not just a semester and toward a grade. He encourages students to learn statistics and mathematics by relating them to our everyday experiences going beyond the formulas, notations, and proofs. He has mentored over fifteen undergraduate and graduate students in projects from a wide variety of fields such a genomics, image processing, machine learning, and time series analysis. His research include applying wavelet transforms in the analysis of high-dimensional data such as functional data, images, and volumes. The development of statistics and tests that could be used in analyzing high-dimensional multivariate data. Analyzing high dimensional data originating from genomics using publicly available data sources such as The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) to mine information pertaining to diseases and drug interactions. Astrostatistics and Neuroimaging using the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) data releases, and the computational connectivity of the human brain. In particular from the Human Connectome Project (HCP). He is an avid programmer mostly in Python/R, php, and MySQL. When it comes to operating systems, his motto is "Fedora Forever".
Courses OfferedToggle Courses OfferedAdvanced Linear Algebra
Applied Mathematical Statistics (graduate level)
Calculus-I, Differential Equations
Introduction to Regression Analysis
Probability and Statistics
Social Science Statistics
Time Series Analysis
- Hsin-Hsiung Huang and Senthil Girimurugan; Discrete Wavelet Packet Transform Based Discriminant Analysis for Whole Genome Sequences; Statistical Application in Genetics and Molecular Biology; doi:10.1515/sagmb-2018-0045
- Loureen S. Downes, Susan Bucholz, Belinda Bruster, Senthil Girimurugan, Louis F. Fogg, Margaret S. Frock; Delivery of a Community-Based Nutrition Education Program for Minority Adults; Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners;doi:10.1097/JXX.0000000000000144
- S.B. Girimurugan, Yuhang Liu et al.; iSeg: an efficient algorithm for segmentation of genomic and epigenomic data; BMC Bioinformatics; https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-018-2140-3
- Hsin-Hsiung Huang and Senthil Girimurugan; A novel real-time genome comparison method using discrete wavelet transform; Journal of Computational Biology; PMID: 29272149 doi: 10.1089/cmb.2017.0115
- Scott Anstadt, Belinda Bruster, and S.B.Girimurugan; Using Virtual World Simulators (Second Life) in Social Work Course Assignments; International Journal of Learning Technology. dpi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJLT.2016.076061
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
- (Invited) S.B. Girimurugan; Discussion on Wavelet Based Data Analysis in Bioinformatics and Image Processing; Biomedical Data Science Grand Rounds; Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH.
- Zachary M. Turpin, Daniel Vera, Savannah D. Savadal, Pei-yau Lung, Yuhand Liu, S.B. Girimurugan, Jonathan H. Dennis, Jinfeng Zhang, Hank W. Bass; DNS-seq maps of nucleosome occupancy and open chromatin in B73 root tip, coleoptilar nodes, earshoot, and 15-DAP endosperm.;March 14-17, 2019, Union Station of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- S.B. Girimurugan; Textual Adventures in R; 2019 Florida Chapter Meeting of the American Statistical Association at University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- S.B. Girimurugan and Hsin-Hsiung Huang; Discrete Wavelet Packet Transform Based Discriminant Analysis for Whole Genome Sequences; 2018 Florida Chapter Meeting of the American Statistical Association at Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL.
- S.B. Girimurugan; A Personalized Metric for Effective Assessment of The Four Pillars of STEM Learning; Interdisciplinary STEM Conference, March 23-24, 2018, at Coastal Georgia Center, Savannah, GA.
- Hank W. Bass, Daniel L. Vera, Pei-yau Lang, Yuhang Liu, S.B. Girimurugan, Zachary M. Turpin et al; The NUPRIME Project: Nuclease Profiling of Four Reference Tissues as a Resource for Maize Epigenomics; 60 th Annual Maize Genomics Conference, March 22-25, 2018, at Saint Malo, France. Presented by: Hank W. Bass
- S.B. Girimurugan; Statistical Research on Active Learning in Teaching Statistics; 10th Annual SoTL Commons Conference, March 29-31, 2017, at Coastal Georgia Center, Savannah, GA
- S.B. Girimurugan; Distribution of the Sum of Squared Wavelet Coefficients under Soft Threshold; 2017 Florida Chapter Meeting of the American Statistical Association at The Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL.
- S.B. Girimurugan; Effectiveness of Team Based Learning in contrast to Conceptual Change Model in teaching Undergraduate Statistics Courses; Lucas Symposium at Florida Gulf Coast University.
- S.B. Girimurugan; Which is better in teaching Probability and Statistics? Conceptual Change Model or Team-Based Learning; 12th Annual Learning Conference at University of British Columbia.
- S.B. Girimurugan; Succeeding in Undergraduate Research; ASPIRE Conference at Florida Gulf Coast University.
- S.B. Girimurugan; A Universal Wavelet based White Noise Test for Time Series; 2016 Florida Chapter Meeting of the American Statistical Association at Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.