Pavelka, Sandra (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPhD Public Administration, Specialization Justice Policy, Florida Atlantic University
Dissertation Practice to Policy to Management: A Restorative Justice Framework
MPA Master of Public Administration, Florida International University
BA Political Science, University of Florida
Restorative justice, juvenile justice, American politics and elections, public policy, program evaluation, gender responsive programming
Courses OfferedGraduate Courses
Graduate Faculty designee
PAD 5933: Proposal Writing and Grant Administration
PAD 6327: Seminar in Program Planning and Evaluation
PAD 6708: Research Methods and Analysis
PAD 6812: State and Local Government Administration
CCJ 4662: Minorities and Crime
CCJ 4663: Female Crime
CCJ 4933: Special Topics – Restorative Justice
CJC 4310: Methods of Offender Treatment
CJJ 4015: Juvenile Justice System
IDH 4638C: Freedom to Serve - Honors
IDS 3302: Issues in Politics and Economics
POS 2041: American National Government
POS 2112: State and Local Government Administration
POS 3272: Politics and the Citizen
POS 3691: Law Politics and Society
POS 4064: Intergovernmental Relations
POS 4072: Women in Politics and Government
POS 4152: Urban Politics and Problems
POS 4232: Proposal Writing and Grant Administration
POS 4734: Research Methods and Analysis in Political Science
PUP 4930: Special Topics in Political Science Policy – Restorative Justice Policy
PUP 3040: State and Local Public Policy
- The Legacy of Community Justice. Editors: Pavelka, S., A. Seymour, B. Stuart. Kanata, ON: J Charlton Publishing Ltd, 2013.
- International Perspectives on Restorative Justice in Education. Editors: Charlton, J., S. Pavelka, and P.J. Verrecchia. Kanata, ON: J Charlton Publishing Ltd, 2011.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- S. Pavelka and D. Thomas, “The Evolution of Balanced and Restorative Justice,” Juvenile and Family Court Journal, 70(1), 2019.
- Pavelka, S. and A. Seymour, “Guiding Principles for Restorative Justice and Victims,” Corrections Today, a publication of the American Correctional Association, Jan/Feb 2019.
- Pavelka, S., “Restorative Justice in the States: A National Assessment of Legislation and Policy,” Justice Policy Journal, 13(2), 2016.
- Pavelka, S. and D. Thomas, “Performance Measurement in Juvenile Justice: Developing and Implementing Model Reporting Systems," Perspectives. 40(1), 2016.
- Pavelka, S., “Practices and Policies for Implementing Restorative Justice within Schools,” The Prevention Researcher, 20(1), 2013.
Select Conference Presentations
- “Balanced and Restorative Justice’s 30 Year Evolution: Where It Began, How It Developed, and Where It Might Be Going,” National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, July 28-31, 2019.
- “NACRJ Law and Policy Initiative: Planning for Advocacy,” National Conference on Community and Restorative Justice, Denver, CO, June 14-16, 2019.
- “Gender Responsive Restorative Justice and Peer Mediation,” All About Girls Summit, Orlando, FL, March 7-8, 2019.
- “Gender Responsive Restorative Justice and Peer Mediation,” All About Girls Summit, Orlando, FL, March 22-23, 2018.
- “Strategies to Address Juvenile Crime and Wrongdoing: A Restorative Justice Approach,” National Symposium on Juvenile Services, Orlando, FL, October 9, 2017.
- “Restorative Justice in the States: An Analysis of Statutory Legislation and Policy,” National Conference on Community and Restorative Justice, Oakland, CA, June 16-18, 2017.
Grants & AwardsGrants:
Ft. Myers Reentry Initiative
US Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance (Total award amount $1 million)
Subcontract through City of Ft. Myers Police Department
January 2019 – December 2022
Funded Amount: $ 182,412.
Leadership and Service Award, Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, 2017
National Points of Light Award, 2016
Student Government McTarnaghan Teaching Award, Florida Gulf Coast University, 2015
- Faculty Senate
- College of Arts and Sciences College Governance Team
- Juvenile Justice Advisory Board, Twentieth Judicial Circuit, State of Florida, Chair
- Girls Coordinating Council, Lee County, Florida
- National Association of Community and Restorative Justice Advisory Council, Policy and Legislation Workgroup, Chair
- • Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, US Department of Justice, National Restorative Justice Working Group,
- PACE Center for Girls–Lee, Advisory Board
- Political Analyst, Television, Print, Web Media
- The Peace Alliance, Senior Advisor for Restorative Justice
- Restorative Justice on the Rise, Senior Adviser
- U.S. Congressional Victims’ Rights Caucus, Advisory Committee