Tom DeMarchi joined Florida Gulf Coast University's faculty in 2004, after spending
six years teaching and tutoring at SUNY Cortland. When not writing, teaching, sleeping,
or cataloguing his music, you'll find Tom reading biographies of jazz musicians and
dead presidents, watching his son play soccer, or meeting with colleagues to discuss
the Sanibel Island Writers Conference, which he directs. Because of his haircut and
monochromatic fashion sense, he is often mistaken for a police officer.
- MFA in Creative Writing, Florida International University
- M.A. in English, California State University
- B.A. in English Merrimack College
Creative Writing/Fiction/Creative Nonfiction/Poetry
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching Interests
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- Composition 1 & 2
- Advanced Fiction Writing
- Intro to Creative Writing
- Narrative Techniques
- Writing Theory & Practice (Sanibel Island Writers Conference)
Tom DeMarchi's work has appeared in The Writer's Chronicle, The Miami Herald, Quick Fiction, The Pinch, Gulfshore Life,
The Southeast Review, and other publications. In 2019, he published Möbius Strips and Other Stories (Rain Chain Press).
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
- The Miami Book Fair
- Books & Books
- Muse & the Marketplace Festival
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- Professional Development Leave request granted, 2013-2014.
- Senior Instructor Teaching Excellence Award, Florida Gulf Coast University, Spring
- "Angel of the Arts: Organization Leader of the Year." Alliance of the Arts, April
- "Last Lecture Series." Awardee. FGCU University Honors Program, 2007.
- Awarded a month-long residency at Fundación Valparaiso in Almeria, Spain, May 2007
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2018-2019.
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2017-2018.
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2016-2017.
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2015-2016.
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2014-2015.
- Event Marketing Program Grant, Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau. 2013-2014.