Field Education: Our Signature Pedagogy
Field education is an essential component of the BSW Program. It is where theories and concepts are integrated with actual social work practice. Field education at FGCU is guided by standards set forth by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and the BSW Program's Mission.
Students are placed at a variety of community-based social service organizations which serve the five-county Florida Gulf Coast University area (Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry, and Glades). Placements in other regions are provided based on students need.
The generalist BSW field education curriculum is structured so that the student:
- Is assigned to one field site for their senior year in the BSW program;
- Is enrolled in six (6) credit hours of Field Education each semester the student is in their internship through the courses BSW Field Education I and BSW Field Education II;
- Completes a weekly on-campus seminar in addition to receiving weekly supervision at their field education agency;
- Completes 250 hours of field education per semester (roughly 16 - 17 hours per week for 15 - 16 weeks); and
- Is concurrently enrolled in core and elective social work courses.
For further information on the field education process, please contact:
Tammy Walker, MSW - Field Education Coordinator
Florida Gulf Coast University
Department of Social Work
10501 FGCU Blvd S
Fort Myers, FL 33965
Field Education Forms
- Fall Semester Field Evaluation
- Spring Semester (Final) Evaluation
- Student Evaluation of Field Internship
Field placements must be Department-approved sites for field education. A student interested in an agency they do not see listed in a directory must contact the Field Education Coordinator to inquire about the possibility of placement. The Field Education Coordinator will evaluate an agency’s appropriateness for student placements and confirm that the agency meets the Department of Social Work requirements.
All questions regarding field education should be directed to Tammy Walker, Field Education Coordinator, at email@example.com or (239) 590-7726.
Becoming a Field Education Placement Agency