New International Students
Welcome to FGCU! We are happy to have you be a part of our family joining hundreds of international students from around the world.
In this page you will find information and guidance on what to do as new FGCU student.
Important Information for New International Students
New Student Arrival Information
New Student Arrival Information
Arrival Information and Meeting notices. new Students are required to schedule a document processing meeting.
International Students must complete the required steps before arriving at FGCU.
New Student Arrival Information
Arrival Information and Meeting Notices:
Housing Move in date for international students: Please expect your earliest move in date to be January 7, 2023 unless housing assigned you an earlier date.
MANDATORY MEETING: JANUARY 4th
DOCUMENT PROCESSING: JANUARY 4th and 5th
All new international students must report to a DSO (Designated School Official) no later than the first week of classes to activate your SEVIS record.
Our office calls this Document Processing
- Most Recent I-94 record.- retrievable here: (this is for students who arrived via air or sea port)
- A copy of your course schedule
- Passport & student visa
- Foreign National Identification Form (FNIF FORM) (we can answer questions about this form during your document processing)
- Current U.S mailing address (campus housing address if living on campus)
(*On the drop down menu select- DOCUMENT PROCESSING)
Select Carey Fells or Tim Gjini to see available DATE and TIMES
FGCU Pre-Arrival Checklist for International Students
If you have not completed one of the points, please follow the provided link to ensure you complete the required step before arriving at FGCU.
o I will be attending FGCU on an F-1 International Student visa, and I have thoroughly read through the Pre-Arrival Information Guide.
- I will be attending FGCU on a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa; I have thoroughly read through the Pre- Arrival Information Guide.
- I have reviewed my I-20 or DS-2019 Form and confirmed the accuracy of its information. I have also paid the mandatory SEVIS fee of $220 for the J-1 students (holding a DS-2019 form) or the $350 for initial F- 1 students holding an I-20 form at www.fmjfee.com. Please don’t pay this fee for a second time if transferring your SEVIS record from another school to FGCU.
*(Your SEVIS Number (ID) is: N00……. Located on the top right corner of your document (above the barcode).
- For F-1 Students, the FGCU School Code is MIA214F01284000
- For J-1 Students, the FGCU Program Code is: P-1-10333
o I have applied for my Student Visa by completing the DS-160 Form at: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
- I have scheduled a visa interview appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate in my country. Remember: International students on an initial entry will be permitted to enter the U.S. only 30 days (or after that) before the indicated program start date in your DS-2019 or I-20. To learn more about how to fill the DS- 160 Form out, visit: US VISA DS-160 FORM FILLING GUIDANCE
o I have reviewed the Vaccination/Immunization Requirements at: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/studenthealth/immunizations. I have uploaded a copy of my vaccination/immunization record to the Immunization Portal at https://fgcu.studenthealthportal.com/ also realize that I can waive the Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccine requirement by checking the appropriate boxes to have them waived. I understand that I will not be able to pre-register for courses until my immunization hold has been removed/lifted off my student record/account. You need to log in to your FGCU Eagle Access with your user name and passport before submitting your immunization records.
o HOUSING (must be signed up for Orientation before applying for FGCU Campus housing)
I have applied for On-Campus Housing (To live on campus) by visiting: Ready to Apply (fgcu.edu)* (apply via Housing Portal).
If you have any questions about on-campus Housing, please get in touch with Mr. Charlie Braun at Cbraun@fgcu.edu
OR *I must make my arrangements for off-campus living.
- I understand that I must attend the mandatory meeting for incoming international students and document processing. This usually takes place 2-3 days prior to the start of courses. The Global Engagement Office will provide further information on the requirements, time and location of the meeting before classes begin.
International Student Onboarding/Arrival Information Session (mandatory): Thursday, August 10, 2023.
International Student Document Processing: Friday, August 11, 2023.
- Attend an Orientation. Please follow the steps provided on the FGCU web pages for Undergraduates or for Graduates. For questions regarding undergraduate orientation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org For questions regarding graduates, please contact email@example.com
Eagle View Orientation and International Student Document Processing (required only for F-1 visa holders): Wednesday, August 09, 2023.
- I understand that maintaining Medical Insurance year-round is mandatory and I have reviewed the requirements and deadlines for showing proof of medical insurance. *For further information on the mandatory medical insurance, please visit the Medical Insurance Compliance Information on our web page. I also understand that if I am currently enrolled or wish to utilize another medical insurance plan, I must submit the FGCU Medical Insurance Compliance form to the FGCU Office of International Services by the deadlines of every December 1st (for Spring and Summer semesters; together) and August 1st (for Fall semester, separately). *If you have questions about the Medical Insurance requirement, please call our office at 239- 590-7925
o I have located and contacted my FGCU academic advisor and have pre-registered for a full-time course load: I also understand that I must maintain a full-time course load (minimum 12 credit hours as an undergraduate student and/or nine credits as a graduate student). *TO COMPLY WITH U.S. IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS, INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS MUST ENROLL IN A MINIMUM OF 9 CREDITS PER SEMESTER INTO IN-CLASSROOM OR HYBRID COURSES. IN CONTRAST, INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE STUDENTS MUST CARRY A MINIMUM OF 6 CREDITS OF IN-CLASSROOM/HYBRID COURSES. THE REST CAN BE ONLINE/VIRTUAL COURSES. Please remember that you will not register for courses if you have not satisfied the requirements for removing any holds in your student account. Locate your academic advisor through the College/department your selected major (or level of studies) falls under, at: https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/advising/
- I have considered and either accepted or declined the GEO Ambassador Program: The GEO Ambassador Program will connect you, the incoming FGCU international student, with current FGCU students. This pairing provides the opportunity for international students to experience American culture through friendships with American students (or international students who have been in the
U.S. for an extended period). These relationships make possible the expansion of cultural awareness and global learning. Contact Ms. Ivana Batkovic at firstname.lastname@example.org to join or for further information.
- Travel and Arrival information: I realize that I will make my transportation arrangements upon arriving in the United States. Transportation options from the RSW airport to FGCU Campus Housing. Fort Myers International Airport transportation information can be found at: http://www.flylcpa.com/transportation/ A cab/taxi fare from RSW airport to North-Lake Village runs for approximately $20 - 25. If you participate in the Eagle I Ambassador Program, we encourage you to communicate with your Ambassador(s) to see if they could arrange to pick you up at the RSW airport. If you will arrive in Fort Myers in the evening, but before midnight, please stop by Target or another store at the nearby Gulf Coast Town Center to purchase the following:
*Linens: Single size bed sheets, pillow, and pillowcase, blanket/comforter. Eating utensils/plates and/or dishes. Food (eateries at FGCU might not be open, so picking up some food upon settling into Housing is encouraged).
If you are arriving after midnight, you are encouraged to bring some of the items listed above with you, as you might not be able to purchase them before checking into your campus housing.
Student Visa Issuance Update: Student (F and M) visas for new students can be issued up to 365 days in advance of the start date.
Evaluation of Foreign Transcript
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
Education Credential Evaluators- NACES
Study at FGCU as an International Student (F-1 Visa) Status
International Students interested in attending Florida Gulf Coast University please see the FGCU Internation Admissions page.
Study at FGCU in Nonimmigrant Student (F-1 Visa) Status
F-1 is the primary U.S. student visa status for regular, degree-seeking study. If you are an international student planning to attend FGCU and complete a degree program, you will most likely first need to obtain F-1 visa status.
The checklist below will help you through the process of obtaining F-1 status and beginning your studies at FGCU.
Note: if you currently are an F-1 student at another university, please first read about how to have your SEVIS record transferred to FGCU.
Tuition & Fees
Paying your Tuition
In order to pay your tuition you will need to log in into your Gulfline account by selecting Student--------->Student Records ---------- > Bill & Payment Center
---------- > Make Payment.
Friday, 13 January 2023 at 5pm– Payment Deadline Spring 2023.
Monday, 9 January 2023 – First day of classes January 2023
Monday, 20 March 2022 – Last day to drop/Add/Withdraw. Ends at 5pm.