The Regional Economic Research Institute (RERI) was developed to perform economic research, analysis, and forecasting for both the region and the individual economic development organizations in this area. The structure of the RERI includes partnership with the Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council and the area economic development organizations.
The director of RERI is Dr. Christopher Westley, Professor of Economics in the Lutgert College of Business.
August 16, 2016: Third Quarter Lee County Business Climate Survey - Report issued
View the report
June 17, 2016: Second Quarter Industry Diversification Report issued
View the report
- Industry Diversification Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2016, RERI has issued this report. It analyzes the RERI-designed FGCU Industry Diversification Index. The goal of the IDI is to measure industry diversification and, by extension, that of the workforce, in each of Florida's 24 workforce regions, the state of Florida, and the remaining 49 states.
- Business Climate Survey Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, RERI has issuined this report. This quarterly report is a result of a partnership between The Horizon Council and Florida Gulf Coast University. The Horizon Council is a public-private board established in 1991 to advise the Lee County Board of Commissioners on economic development issues.
The Report summarizes the results of the Executive Business Climate Survey. It provides a view of the local economy, based on responses from senior executives of companies from a broad range of industries across the county.
In addition to these quarterly reports, RERI continues to issue a monthly report: Regional Economic Indicators, which analyzes a wide range of economic data from the 5-county region of Southwest Florida. It also includes National economic data of interest. The monthly Indicators report has been issued since early 2007.
Documents most recently issued by the Institute:
(For earlier documents, see the Archive page)
Our Quarterly Reports
Our Monthly Report:
Regional Economic Indicators, September 2016. (22 pages)
The report was released by RERI on August 31, 2016. Comments at the release of the report:
Here are some key findings:
Notes and Asides:
- The RERI and the Horizon Council published the Lee County Business Climate Survey Report for the 3rd quarter of 2016 in August.
- Workforce Now, a regional research group incorporating the resources of the RERI, Hodges University, and Florida Southwest State College, will be presenting at the FutureMakers Champions meeting on September 15th at Six Bends Harley-Davidson conference room in Fort Myers. Contact the Southwest Florida Community Foundation at 239-274-5900 for more information.
- The RERI is completing work on the forthcoming Economic Almanac of Southwest Florida. To purchase ad space or a sponsorship, please contact Monique Carlone at 239-825-1872.
The most recently published study:
Barriers to Small Business Growth
Many additional documents that can be reviewed and downloaded are available on the Reports and Studies page.
July 25, 2014 (44 pages)
The purpose of this survey is to better understand the factors that are limiting small business growth in the greater Lee County area. This survey provides insights about key concerns and issues facing small businesses.
Links to our partner organizations are available on the Links pagae.
To request more information, see the Contact Us page.