The Regional Economic Research Institute (RERI) was developed to perform economic research, analysis, and forecasting for both the region and the individual economic development organizations in this area. The structure of the RERI includes partnership with the Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council and the area economic development organizations.
The director of RERI is Dr. Christopher Westley, Professor of Economics in the Lutgert College of Business.
August 16, 2016: Third Quarter Lee County Business Climate Survey - Report issued
View the report
June 17, 2016: Second Quarter Industry Diversification Report issued
View the report
- Industry Diversification Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2016, RERI has issued this report. It analyzes the RERI-designed FGCU Industry Diversification Index. The goal of the IDI is to measure industry diversification and, by extension, that of the workforce, in each of Florida's 24 workforce regions, the state of Florida, and the remaining 49 states.
- Business Climate Survey Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, RERI has issuined this report. This quarterly report is a result of a partnership between The Horizon Council and Florida Gulf Coast University. The Horizon Council is a public-private board established in 1991 to advise the Lee County Board of Commissioners on economic development issues.
The Report summarizes the results of the Executive Business Climate Survey. It provides a view of the local economy, based on responses from senior executives of companies from a broad range of industries across the county.
In addition to these quarterly reports, RERI continues to issue a monthly report: Regional Economic Indicators, which analyzes a wide range of economic data from the 5-county region of Southwest Florida. It also includes National economic data of interest. The monthly Indicators report has been issued since early 2007.
Documents most recently issued by the Institute:
(For earlier documents, see the Archive page)
Our Quarterly Reports
Our Monthly Report:
Regional Economic Indicators, August 2016. (22 pages)
The report was released by RERI on August 1, 2016. Comments at the release of the report:
Here are some key findings:
Notes and Asides:
- The FGCU Industry Diversification Index now reported in Florida Scorecard, an undertaking of the Florida Chamber of Commerce. For more information on the RERI's efforts to gauge industry diversification in our region and state, visit the RERI's Industry Diversification Project web site at lutgert.fgcu.edu/idp.
- RERI Director Chris Westley contributed to an op-ed, published in the Naples Daily News, that explained details in the recent Workforce Overview report. The report is one of the research efforts of the regional workforce initiative, Workforce Now, to which the RERI contributes.
- For more regional data be sure to review swfleda.com, the web site of the Southwest Florida Economic Development Alliance. The RERI maintains much of the economic and demographic data reported on that site.
The most recently published study:
Barriers to Small Business Growth
Many additional documents that can be reviewed and downloaded are available on the Reports and Studies page.
July 25, 2014 (44 pages)
The purpose of this survey is to better understand the factors that are limiting small business growth in the greater Lee County area. This survey provides insights about key concerns and issues facing small businesses.
Links to our partner organizations are available on the Links pagae.
To request more information, see the Contact Us page.