Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advisory to Protect The Nest:

FGCU continuously monitors the latest information from health officials and shares details on the Coronavirus Updates website. Get details including helpful FAQs. Students, faculty and staff, remember to complete the FGCU Daily Health Screening App every day before coming to campus (239-590-1206 for technical and other support related to the Screening). COVID-19 rules apply to campus visitors.

Learn More


Establishing Residency

Every incoming graduate student must establish status as a Florida resident or non-Florida resident for tuition purposes. Once term registration has closed, changes to residency status are not permitted.

Florida Residents

U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and certain non-U.S. citizens may be classified as a Florida resident for tuition purposes provided legal residence has been established in the state for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.

Residency documents are not required to complete an admissions application, but timely submission of residency documents is encouraged so residency classification can be updated accordingly.  

All applicants are considered non-Florida residents until satisfactory proof of Florida residency is received. Failure to provide all relevant information and required documentation could result in a non-Florida resident classification for tuition purposes. All documentation must be submitted prior to the last day of the drop/add period for the term in which resident status is sought.

Students must supply two documents to support their claim of Florida residency. At least one of the two documents submitted must be from the First Tier Residency Documents List. The second document may be from the Second Tier List.

  • First Tier Residency Documents

  • Second Tier Residency Documents

  • Independent Student Criteria

  • Dependent Student Criteria

If you have any questions about your status as a Florida resident, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.