The Diversity and Inclusion Certificate strives to make Florida Gulf Coast University a more diverse and inclusive campus by educating our Students, Faculty, and Staff on topics related to culture, racial relations, discrimination prevention, intercultural competency, and promoting inclusivity.
Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
What is it?
The certificate program is a campus-wide program that aims to promote education on topics related to diversity and inclusion.
Who can participate?
Our program is available to any member of the campus community that possesses an active UIN. It can be completed by any student, faculty, or staff member at Florida Gulf Coast University.
How do I complete it?
Register for Sessions
Review our calendar of events below and identify possible sessions or events you would like to attend. Use our registration link to access our website and register for the sessions offered that month.
Note: Sessions will begin in September and end in April.
Bring your Eagle ID
Make sure you attend the events you have registered for and you bring your Eagle ID to each event. Your participation in the sessions is recorded by swiping your FGCU ID. Remember to get it swiped at every session.
Complete 6 Sessions
Out of the 6 events you need to attend, 2 must be core sessions. There are 4 core sessions offered multiple times during the year:
- What is Diversity? What is Inclusion?
- Session on Bias
- Safe Zone
- Exploring our Social Identities
Why should I complete it?
- It is an excellent way to show your commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- It is a great addition to your resume, portfolio, and professional development.
- You will receive an official diploma signed by FGCU's President and by the Director of Equity, Ethics, and Compliance.
- Most of our sessions are interactive and provide many networking opportunities. You can build partnerships with professors and campus administrators for future research opportunities, work, and mentorship.
- Employers are putting more emphasis on diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Being well versed on the topic can be an asset to any company. Also, cultural competency is a great skill to have in the global world we live in today.