Student Support Services (SSS) is a Federal TRIO Program designed to motivate and retain college students throughout their journey towards successfully completing a bachelor’s degree, while also fostering academic success and promoting personal growth.
Florida Gulf Coast University is host to two TRIO SSS grants.
- The SSS Classic Program serves eligible participants majoring in any field of study.
- The SSS STEM Program serves eligible participants majoring in science, technology, engineering or mathematics degree programs.
Students Support Services programs at FGCU are funded annually through the U.S. Department of Education. Funding for 2020-2025 for SSS Classic is $1,473,625 and for SSS STEM is $1,268,845.
History of TRIO and SSS
The Federal TRIO Programs (TRIO) are Federal outreach and student services programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals who have high academic potential but are at risk of not completing secondary or postsecondary education. TRIO includes eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to postbaccalaureate programs. TRIO also includes a training program for directors and staff of TRIO projects.
Federal TRIO Programs
- Educational Opportunity Centers
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement
- Student Support Services
- Talent Search
- Training Program for Federal TRIO Programs Staff
- Upward Bound
- Upward Bound Math-Science
- Veterans Upward Bound
For more information on TRIO programs visit:
TRIO Student Support Services - Classic Program
TRIO Student Support Services - STEM Program