- Students must meet with a college advisor to declare a minor and review the course requirements.
- A grade of C or higher is required for all courses in the minor.
- A minimum of 12 credit hours of the minor must be completed at FGCU.
- Students desiring certification of a minor and designation on their academic transcript must verify that the minor is displayed on their Graduation Application.
Successful completion or testing out of the following 8 credits:
- SPN 2220C (4) Intermediate Spanish I (4)*
- SPN 2221C (4) Intermediate Spanish II (4)*
Note: In order to take SPN 2220C, students must have taken or tested out of SPN 1120C Beginning Spanish I and SPN 1121C Beginning Spanish II
Successful completion of the following:
- SPN 3300 Spanish Advanced Writing (3)
Electives (6-14 credits):
Select from the following courses to complete the required minimum of 17 credit hours.
- SPN 2032 Spanish for Health Professions (3)
- SPN 2270 Spanish Study Abroad (1-6)
- SPN 3140 Intermed Spanish for Business (3)
- SPN 3400 Conversation and Composition I (3)
- SPN 3500 Survey of Spanish Culture & Civilization I (3)
- SPN 3520 Latin Amer. Culture & Civilization (3)
- SPN 4910 Directed Independent Research (3)
- SPT 3100 Spanish Literary Masterpieces (3)**
- SPT 3532 Hispanic Cinema (3)**
- SPW 3100 Survey of Spanish Literature (3)
- SPW 3130 Latin American Literature (3)
- SPW 4930 Selected Topics (1-3)
*Required intermediate courses can be exempted by obtaining an equivalency through a Spanish Placement Test (contact program faculty for access to this test). Determination of equivalency will be made by the program faculty on the basis of this test and an oral interview with program faculty in Spanish. Students who place out of required intermediate courses must fulfill the credit hour requirement for the minor with elective courses from the Electives list. Native or heritage speakers of Spanish may complete the minor but may not enroll in beginning courses.
**Limit of one course in translation to complete the minor.Catalog Year: 2020-2021
Total Semester Hours Required: 17 Hours
Transfer credits will ordinarily be accepted from regionally accredited institutions and evaluated for appropriate credit toward requirements in the student's degree program.