- Students must meet with a college advisor/student success counselor to declare a minor and review the course requirements.
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher is required for all courses in the minor.
- A minimum of 12 credits of the minor must be completed at FGCU.
- A minimum of 9 credits of the Spanish Minor must be from upper division (3000-4999 level) courses.
- Students desiring certification of a minor and designation on their academic transcript must verify that the minor is displayed on their Graduation Application.
Required Courses in the Minor
Successful completion or testing out of the following 8 credits:
SPN 2220C (4) Intermediate Spanish 1 (4)*
SPN 2221C (4) Intermediate Spanish 2 (4)*
Note: In order to take SPN 2220C, students must have taken or tested out of SPN 1120C Beginning Spanish I and SPN 1121C Beginning Spanish II
Successful completion of the following:
SPN 3300 Spanish Advanced Writing (3)
Restricted Electives in the Minor
Select from the following courses to complete the required minimum of 17 credits. At least 6 credits must be upper division (3000-4999 level):
SPN 2032 Spanish for Health Professions (3)
SPN 2270 Study Abroad (1-6)
SPN 2532 Spanish for Educators (3)
SPN 3140 Intermed Spanish for Business (3)
SPN 3400 Conversation & Composition I (3)
SPN 3500 Survey of Span Cult & Civl I (3)
SPN 3520 Latin Amer Cult & Civil I (3)
SPN 4910 Directed Independent Research (3)
SPT 3100 Spanish Literary Masterpieces (3)**
SPT 3532 Hispanic Cinema (3)**
SPW 3100 Survey of Spanish Literature (3)
SPW 3130 Latin American Literature (3)
SPW 4930 Selected Topics (1-3)
*Required intermediate courses can be exempted by obtaining an equivalency through a Spanish Placement Test (contact program faculty for access to this test). Determination of equivalency will be made by the program faculty on the basis of this test and an oral interview with program faculty in Spanish. Students who place out of required intermediate courses must fulfill the credit hour requirement for the minor with elective courses from the Electives list. Native or heritage speakers of Spanish may complete the minor but may not enroll in beginning courses.
**Limit of one course in translation to complete the minor.
Total Semester Hours Required: 17 Hours