We're here to help you plan a successul event
Use the information below to make sure your event is a success:
Information needed to reserve a spaceToggle More Info
Reservations are filled on a "first come - first served" basis. A minimum of 2 weeks is required prior to a proposed event that requires services such as set up, catering, audio-visual, etc.
Space reservations begin by supplying basic information. Please refer to the How to Request Space page for all reservation information.
You should plan as far in advance as possible and within the scheduling timelines established above. You should never advertise, promote or contract services for your event until you have received an event confirmation for the date and location from Campus Reservations.
FeesToggle More Info
Certain fees may apply. Only meetings and events that are tied to requisite university business are not charged a facility rental fee. It is always good to check in advance with an FGCU event planner to determine whether facility rental fees will be applied to your event. Refer to the Reserve a Space page for more information.
Insurance NeedsToggle More Info
Any event that will involve an entity not affiliated with Florida Gulf Coast University (for example, a co-sponsor, vendor, etc.) will require that the outside entity provide proof of insurance naming FGCU, Board of Trustees and its Officers as additional insured. Refer to the Reserve a Space page for more information.
Also, university events that may prove higher risk in nature may require additional insurance above and beyond what the university's general liability policies cover.
Please consult an FGCU event planner to discuss whether or not there is a need for additional insurance requirements.
Tips for a successful eventToggle More Info
To plan an exciting and successful event at Florida Gulf Coast University, our staff offers a few suggestions to make your coordination efforts easy and enjoyable:
- Allow time to plan an event. Planning is the most crucial and time-consuming aspect for any type of event. The earlier you start, the more likely you are to secure your preferred venue on a particular date and conduct a successful event. You should contact an Event Planner and dining/catering services 3 to 12 months ahead of time for any sizable event, such as a banquet, dance, conference, concert or other events where more than 100 people will be attending. Do this before you send out invitations or advertisements.
- Budget. Have dollar figures in mind when you plan. You should be able to build a budget based on your event plan. Charges may apply to your event for room rental and other services. Make sure you have checked with Campus Reservations to determine if any of those charges will apply and what the costs may be.
- Use realistic attendance numbers. Reserve a room based on the number of attendees you realistically expect and best fulfills the purpose of the event. You don't want to crowd your guests and you want to accommodate all the activities during your event.
- Determine the services you may need or that may be required. Ordering equipment and determining a room's furniture placement will be simplified if you plan in advance how you want the room to look and discuss it with our Event Planners. Include what elements you feel are necessary such as food tables, staging, podiums, sound equipment, etc.
Additional TipsToggle More Info
- Be prepared with an alternative plan if your event is outside. Consider renting a rain site or tent in case of potential inclement weather. Don't forget you will also need garbage cans, and possibly fencing, electricity or extra lighting.
- Find out the maximum capacity of the room for the way you want it set before you invite people. Buffets, stages, award tables, etc. all take space away from the room, which will affect how many guests the room can accommodate.
- Talk with the caterers for the event. Most will customize menus and many will negotiate prices. They can do more for you if you give them a budget to work with. Make sure you are clear when discussing prices; a "per person" price is usually just for food and does not include delivery, service, china, linen or decoration.
- Think about paying for extras that will make your event a success. Rental of items like professional sound equipment, or extra servers could make a big difference in the success of your event. Linens/table cloths, decorations, and extra lighting may go far in giving you the ambiance you are ideally looking for.
- Please be sure to review the general policies and guidelines set forth by the University, with regards to the use of FGCU space. If you have any questions, an FGCU event planner will be happy to assist you. Call 239-590-1090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
- Campus Reservations looks forward to assisting you in scheduling and planning your event on our beautiful campus. The process by which we accept reservation requests depends on your affiliation with the university. Please consult the links to the left for the reservations process that would apply to you.
FormsToggle More Info
Regulations, Policies & GuidelinesToggle More InfoSee the most relevant regulations, policies and guidelines that will help you plan a successful event or meeting.