Student Concerns

Conflict Resolution and Problem Solving

The Office of the University Ombuds works with students, faculty and staff to assist in problem solving and managing concerns. The Ombuds will listen to your concern and will work with you to understand your interests and goals.  The Ombuds will explain policies and procedures, help define options, and work with you and others to create strategies to resolve problems. If another office is better suited to address or resolve the concern, we will advise you of those options. The Ombuds handles conflicts on a case-by case basis, with different strategies used depending on the issues and individuals involved. 

The Ombuds Office will work with you to provide options to resolve your concern. You may always contact the Ombuds Office to discuss your concern, and the ombuds can help you identify channels for resolution, from the informal to the formal. Informal solutions are often feasible and usually render quicker and more satisfactory outcomes; however, there is also a various formal complaint options available to students.

Tips On Talking With Faculty About A Grade
Tips On Writing A Letter Or Email

Preparing for a Call or Visit

You do not have to prepare anything before speaking with an ombuds, but it might be beneficial to organize your thoughts – whether by writing them down or in another way – to effectively communicate your concerns.

Here are some questions that could guide your thinking:

  • What is the specific situation you wish to address or improve?
  • Who else is affected by this situation?
  • What are your desired outcomes and concerns?
  • Have you taken any steps to handle this situation already?
  • What obstacles, whether internal or external, are hindering you from addressing this situation?

  • Who can access the Ombuds Office?  

    Toggle More Info
  • What kinds of issues may I share with the Ombuds?

    Toggle More Info
  • What we do?

    Toggle More Info
  • How should I resolve my concern or complaint?

    Toggle More Info
  • Can my parents request information about my visit to the Ombuds Office?

    Toggle More Info
  • Does the Ombuds meet with parents or other family members?

    Toggle More Info
  • Benefits

    Toggle More Info
  • Before you visit

    Toggle More Info

Office of University Ombuds

Dr. Daniel Hoover
University Ombuds
Edwards Hall Room 211

Florida has a very broad public records law. Do not include confidential information in your email.

(239) 590-7405