Address Accessibility Challenges with AURS
Address Accessibility Challenges With AURS
FGCU is committed to make education accessible for all learners. The QM Community came together to build the Accessibility & Usability Resource Site (AURS).
Free and open to everyone, AURS provides the online community with important information on addressing key accessibility and usability concerns, including:
- Universal Design for Learning: Discover what you need to know about UDL and how it can assist you in creating accessible and usable content to meet the needs of diverse learners.
- Alternative Text: Find out why alternative text is an important principle in accessible web design and how you can use it to help all learners understand the meaning of the image used in your content.
- Video Captions and Audio Descriptions: Uncover the specific steps that must be taken to make video content accessible.
- Hyperlinks: Gain an understanding of how to set up links in the most accessible way possible in order to create accessible content.
- Accessible MS Office products: Explore the basics of Microsoft product accessibility, including alternative text, document best practices and utilizing built-in accessibility checkers.
- Readability: Color Choice and Contrast: Dive into the topics of readability and discover why color choice and contrast play a major role in creating accessible digital resources.
- Accessible PDFs: Take your readability skills to the next level and learn more about how you can make PDFs accessible for your learners.
- Accessible Design in Learning Management Systems: Learn how QM members are tackling accessibility issues in a variety of learning management systems, including Canvas, Blackboard and D2L-Brightspace.
- Cognitive Accessibility: Increase your understanding of cognitive accessibility and uncover strategies to combat this common barrier to student success.
- Inclusive Teaching Practices: Discover design and pedagogical practices to help you foster an inclusive and diverse online learning community.
Each topic features different resources to assist you with your accessibility challenges. Videos show you step-by-step changes you can make to increase the accessibility of your course. Examples highlight best practices. Articles provide you with additional information and resources. And forums allow you to connect directly with accessibility experts — peers who have expertise in designing accessible courses. There is also a General Accessibility and Usability Questions' Forum where you can ask any question that is unrelated to the listed topics.
New topics and resources are added quarterly.