My Covid Playlist, vol. 3: Celebration and Uplift Edition
I don’t know about you, but I’m kind of ready to get out of my funk. This insane latter half of the semester is coming to an end, and it’s time to change the vibe. Finish your grading, mix up your favorite adult beverage, and do whatever it takes to get your groove back. We hope this list helps.
- Might as well start in the ‘70s—you know we’re going to wind up there anyway. I hear the opening sax and trumpet of this Stevie Wonder classic and my mood elevates rapidly…no matter what.
- Happiness just oozes from this video. (And for those of you who have kids or who are simply down with your inner child, you’ll want to hang out with Happy Furry Monsters.)
- Dance like no one’s watching! (Ahh, memories of junior dance class, 1978, doing the Hustle. Disco gets a bad rap.)
- This is kind of psychedelic, but at least it was made in the 21st And who couldn’t use a Miracle right about now?
- What do you get when a nu metal band made up of five vampiric pasty white guys and named after a starchy side dish take on one of the greatest funk songs ever? An unfortunate video that might give you nightmares, but a song that is Impetuous…Homeric…(Bonus points for anyone who gets that reference, which has nothing to do with Cameo or Korn.)
- Another hybrid: Alternative hip hop group Jurassic 5 works it out with Dave Mathews. Go ahead lose yourself inside this opportunity…
- And please, please don’t Steal My Sunshine.
- (Bonus track—People gettin’ down, gettin’ stupid, gettin’ crazy…)
So, what’s on your “Phase 1” reopening of the world playlist? If you have additional ideas, advice, suggestions, music, or funny bits that you would like to share with your colleagues, send it all to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and we will post it to the blog.