Program review is a process of systematic review and evaluation of academic programs that takes place at regular intervals.
In response to state mandates and as a basis for future program development, FGCU undertakes a rigorous assessment of the strengths, weaknesses, anticipated demands / needs, and intended directions of each of its academic programs.
At FGCU, programs are reviewed at least once every seven years. The reviews judge performance of the programs against benchmarks set by previous performance, the state of Florida’s Board of Governors, accreditation agencies or other similar programs.
Like the FGCU assessment plans, program reviews focus heavily on student learning outcomes (SLO s) and seek to determine the extent to which students attain these outcomes. Results not only satisfy policy requirements, but are used to guide continuous improvement efforts.
At the undergraduate level, program review focuses on the efficacy of the Academic Learning Compacts developed by program faculty for the improvement of program outcomes. Program review is the joint responsibility of OPIP and the Program Review Team of the Faculty Senate.
FGCU Program Review Submission Schedule
- Provide recommendations to Faculty Senate for the development, periodic review, and revision of standards, policies, and procedures for university-level management of program review, creation and elimination of all degree and certificate programs and the seven-year University Program Review Plan.
- Based on information received from the Office of Academic and Curriculum Support, the Undergraduate Curriculum Team (UGCT) and the Graduate Curriculum Team (GCT), provide recommendations to Faculty Senate for the development, periodic review, and revision of standards, policies, and procedures for establishing new degree programs.
- Review the process of program review of all degree and certificate programs, inform and make recommendations to Faculty Senate regarding the outcomes of that process.
- Create additional working groups as deemed appropriate or necessary by the PRT members.
The PRT facilitator can extend invitations for membership on working groups to FGCU
faculty members, administrators, and/or staff members otherwise unaffiliated with
In consultation with the Office of Planning and Institutional Performance (PIP), provide recommendations to Faculty Senate on future needs and directions in program review.
- Provide information to Faculty Senate on how well FGCU program review procedures and products conform to current and future Florida Department of Education's Division of Colleges and Universities’ directives (e.g. Academic Learning Compacts).
What is Program Review?Toggle More Info
Why are Program Reviews needed?Toggle More Info
When are Program Review Reports due?Toggle More Info
Does this process allow for a specialized accreditation self-study and review in lieu of a separate internal program review to satisfy institutional and Board of Governors program review requirements?Toggle More Info
Within the colleges, who is responsible for seeing that Assessment Plans & Reports are developed and implemented?Toggle More Info
Are the Assessment Plans being implemented?Toggle More Info
What will happen next to the Assessment Plans & Reports?Toggle More Info
Who will be responsible for overseeing this work and Assessment Plans & Reports development?Toggle More Info
Will there be centralized support?Toggle More Info
What is the relationship of the Assessment Plans & Reports and Program Review to Academic Learning Compacts?Toggle More Info
How do I get more information on the program review process?Toggle More Info