How to Succeed at Online Learning
Start off right
- Check the Technology Requirements and be sure the computer you plan to use meets the requirements for online courses.
- Get acquainted with the Technology Resources and know where to get technology help.
- Visit the Canvas Student Demonstration Course.
- Explore your course(s) - locating the syllabus, materials, and resources.
- Read your syllabus carefully - noting all deadlines, special instructions, or requirements.
- Take a tour of the online FGCU Library. Bookmark the site for your future reference.
- Log in to your course daily to check course announcements, discussion forums, and course mail.
- Get organized. Create a calendar for deadlines.
- Plan ahead. Give yourself plenty of time to complete readings, assignments and prepare for exams.
- Ask for clarification after you have reviewed the syllabus, assignments and course communication. Keep in mind, responses may not be immediate.
- Review your syllabus periodically.
Know the rules
- Understand the course requirements and grading scale.
- Review the Student Code of Conduct.
- Consult the Academic Calendar for add/drop and withdrawal dates.
- Be courteous and professional in your online communication.
- Do a final review of the syllabus for deadlines on project and exams
- Check the Canvas grade report for accuracy.
- Complete the online Student Assessment of Instruction.