The State of Florida legislature designed the Excess Hours policy “to encourage each undergraduate student who enrolls in a state university to complete the student’s respective baccalaureate degree program in the most efficient way possible”.
According to this policy, students are allowed to attempt a certain percentage of credit hours over the minimum required hours for their degree program before the surcharge could potentially be assessed; the total number of hours a student may attempt before a surcharge may be assessed is referred to as the threshold.
To calculate the threshold:
- Determine the term in which the student began postsecondary studies after graduating high school.
- Determine the number of credits required to complete the student’s degree program.
- Use the chart below to calculate the percentage of credits allowed over what the student’s
degree program requires. This will be 10%, 15%, or 20%- determined by student’s entry term.
Example: A student began postsecondary studies in Fall 2011, and has a degree program that requires 120 credit hours.
Biology - 120 Required Hours +
18 Additional Credits (15%) =
Threshold = 138 credit hours may be attempted before surcharge could be assessed.
Changes in degree program may impact a student’s excess hours threshold and status. For example:
- If a student changes to a degree program that requires more credits than their current degree program requires, their excess hours threshold may be increased.
Please contact the Excess Hours Coordinator Aisha Lewis (email@example.com) if:
- Your postsecondary (after high school) studies began prior to Fall 2009,
- Your postsecondary studies (after high school) began between Fall 2009 and Summer 2012, and/or
- You are a dual major/dual degree student
Please note, if a surcharge is assessed, the amount will be equal to 50% or 100% of the base tuition rate, not the full tuition rate.
- To determine the current base tuition rate, please visit the Office of the Bursar’s Tuition and Fee Details page at https://www.fgcu.edu/Cashiers/tanfdetails.asp.
- For general information on tuition and fee payments, please visit the Office of the Bursar page at https://www.fgcu.edu/Cashiers/.
|If you began postsecondary studies:||PERCENTAGE OF CREDITS ALLOWED BEFORE AN EXCESS HOURS FEE COULD BE CHARGED:||THRESHOLD CREDITS (BASED ON A 120 CREDIT HOUR DEGREE PROGRAM REQUIREMENT):||EXCESS HOUR FEE TO BE CHARGED IF THRESHOLD IS EXCEEDED:|
|Fall 2009 - Summer 2011||120% of credits required for your degree program||144 credits||50% of the base tuition rate|
|Fall 2011 - Summer 2012||115% of credits required for your degree program||138 credits||100% of the base tuition rate|
Fall 2012 – Spring 2019
110% of credits required for your degree program
100% of the base tuition rate
|Summer 2019 and thereafter||120% of credits required for your degree program||144 credits||100% of the base tuition rate|
Some categories of coursework are exempt from excess hours. Unless otherwise noted, credits in the following categories will not count toward the excess hours threshold, but will still appear on student transcripts and will still satisfy degree requirements, as applicable:
- College credits earned through an articulated accelerated mechanism (IB, AP, AICE, dual-enrollment, CLEP, ACE).
- Credit hours earned through internship programs or courses.
- Credit hours required for certification, recertification, or certificate programs.
- Credit hours in courses from which a student must withdraw due to reasons of medical or personal hardship.
- Credit hours taken by active-duty military personnel.
- Credit hours required to achieve a dual major taken while pursuing a baccalaureate degree.
- Remedial and English as a Second Language credit hours.
- Credit hours earned in military science courses that are part of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program.
- Transfer credits (attempted before student’s attendance at FGCU) deemed inapplicable to a student’s initial degree program, as determined per advisor review
Supporting documentation is needed to waive credits in exempted categories. Students who believe that they meet one or more of the following exemptions should contact Excess Hours Coordinator Aisha Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a credit hour review.
|If you transferred credits that you took in high school (AP, AICE, ACE, IB, Dual Enrollment), or CLEP credits||If you transferred credits that you took after graduating from high school (does not include CLEP credits)||If you transferred credits that you took during and after high school|
Email Excess Hours Coordinator
orComplete the Excess Credit Hours Adjustment Form
|Contact your advisor for an excess hours transfer credit review||
Email Excess Hours Coordinator (or) Complete the Adjustment Form
andContact your advisor for an excess hours transfer credit review
Please note: There is a deadline of 1 year from your enrollment/re-enrollment (as applicable) at FGCU to request an adjustment of exempt credits. Failure to request adjustment of exempt/excludable credits within 1 year of enrollment/re-enrollment (as applicable) will result in credits remaining in your excess hours attempted credit count.
All credit hours attempted are counted towards the excess hours threshold, including
- Failed courses
- Courses from which the student withdrew after the add/drop payment deadline
- Courses that appear as a W on the student transcript
- Repeated courses, except for courses for which a student has paid a repeat surcharge
- All credit hours earned at another institution and accepted for transfer by FGCU and applied toward the student’s baccalaureate degree program, including transient credits
- Credits taken toward the completion of a minor
- Students will be notified via Eagle Mail of their status with regard to excess hours.
- Students who will be assessed an excess hours surcharge will be notified via Eagle Mail prior to being charged.
- For questions concerning Excess Hours, please contact Excess Hours Coordinator Aisha
State institutions may not waive the excess hours surcharge.
The language of the statute is mandatory.
Excess Credit Hour Adjustment Form