FGCU Alert

FGCU continues work on Blue Pole/call box outage. Do not use these devices. In an emergency, dial 911/UPD @ 239-590-1900 or Guardian Eagle App.

Grade Policy Change

Satisfactory & Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grading for Fall 2022 


Currently, S/U grades are assigned to a small percentage of courses.  S/U grading modes are set by course as requested by the college.  Student requests to change their grading mode are normally not permitted. 

Proposed Change:

Due to the impact of Hurricane Ian, FGCU would permit students to convert their grading mode to S/U during the Fall 2022 term.

  • All undergraduate and graduate courses are included except for FGCU Accelerate (graduate on-line courses), and dual enrollment sections (ACE/Collegiate Academy students and courses).

Time Line and Process:

Students will have until December 9, 2022 (midnight), to request the conversion to S/U grading mode for one or more courses via an online form for Fall 2022.  This form will be electronically forwarded to the Office of Records & Registration. 

  • The online form lists the conditions under which the student would need to read and certify that they understand.  
  • Students may choose one or more courses to be converted.
  • Faculty will enter final letter grades on Gulfline as usual by the published deadline. For courses that students choose to convert, Banner will convert to S/U grades according to the following table:

Letter Grade

S/U Grade

Letter Grade

S/U Grade





























  • Letter grades of W, WF, etc., will remain unchanged.

Impact on GPA:

  • S/U grades do not count in the computation of a student’s GPA, thus S/U grades will not result in an increase or decrease in a student’s GPA.
  • S/U grades are counted towards a student’s completion ratio and maximum time frame in financial aid calculations, but do not count in the GPA calculation.
  • “S” grades receive academic credit while “U” grades do not.

Conversion of Withdrawal (W) to Withdrawal due to Extenuating Circumstances

With respect to the WE grade: Effective immediately, students who submit a Withdrawal (W) for a course during the Fall 2022 semester with a request date of September 28, 2022, or later, will have their grade automatically converted to “WE” instead of the standard "W." This is advantageous for students as the WE grade does not count against the 3/2 Rule. The 3/2 Rule will not be applicable for the remainder of the Fall 2022 semester. Additionally, the deadline for students to withdraw from a course has been extended until November 10, 2022.

  • Can I choose a S/U grading option for a Fall 2022 course?

  • Can all students request the S/U grading option?

  • How do I request the S/U grading option?

  • Can I select just one course for S/U or do I have to select all my courses for an S/U grade?

  • Why am I allowed to request the S/U grading option for courses that were not allowed before?

  • Will my Professor know that I am taking my course for an S/U grade?

  • How will letter grades be converted to S/U grades?

  • Can I still ask my Professor for an incomplete (I) grade?

  • How will the S/U impact my GPA?

  • How does an S/U grade affect my academic standing?

  • How do I know if selecting an S/U grade is the right choice for me?

  • How will an S/U grade impact the GPA needed to graduate?

  • How will an S/U grade affect my eligibility for the President’s / Dean’s List?

  • How will S/U grades affect admissions requirements for Graduate School?

  • How will S/U grades impact course sequencing?

  • If something changes, will I be able to adjust or change my S/U request?

  • How does a S/U grade affect Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid?

  • What are the renewal requirements for Bright Futures and how does S/U and W affect these requirements?

  • How will taking an S/U option affect my scholarship status?

  • I still have questions about how an S/U grade could affect my financial aid. Who do I contact?

  • If I apply for the S/U grading option, do I need to continue to attend class and complete all of the course requirements?

  • I use Veteran’s Educational Benefits, may I utilize the S/U grading mode?

  • May a student submit an S/U grading conversion request for one part of a co-requisite course (i.e. a lecture or a lab) and not the other?  

  • May students pursuing Academic Amnesty be permitted to request S/U grading option?

  • Do some programs have special guidelines regarding S/U grading?