Book Bytes Vlog - Episode 01
Book Title: Specifications Grading: Restoring Rigor, Motivating Students, and Saving Faculty Time by Linda B. Nilson
Join Dr. Diane Marks for a conversation about this book during the Lucas Center Drop-in session on July 30th from 9:30 AM - 11 AM.
What is the topic?
- Assessing student learning.
Why the topic is important?
- Grade inflation
- Increased class size
Who can use this information?
- Faculty and instructors teaching
Top 3 takeaways
- Supports student agency in their assessment
- Efficient way to grade
- Flexible framework can be adapted to meet the needs of the learners, instructor, and content
- Is setting the “pass” criteria at a “B” equitable?
- Where does the idea of formative assessment with constructive feedback fit in?
- Video book review by Diane Marks
- Read: Yes, Virginia, There's a Better Way to Grade
- Faculty experiences and reflections on Specs Grading