Book Bytes Vlog - Episode 02
Book Title: Creating Engaging Discussions: Strategies for "Avoiding Crickets" in Any Size Classroom
and Online by Herman, Jennifer H.; Nilson, Linda (2018)
What is the topic?
Increase engagement, interest, and rigor in online discussions.
Why the topic is important?
- Building community
- Develop and Practice a number of skills, including the ability to articulate and defend positions, consider different points of view, and create in-depth reflective responses.
- Gives all students a voice
Who can use this information?
- Faculty and instructors teaching
Top 3 takeaways
- The importance of wisely selecting and applying discussion tactics to particular course situational factors.
- The importance of student agency in course discussions.
- The need and value of learning from and with others