Canvas New Quizzes Coming Soon!
Canvas New Quizzes
As you may have heard, the switch to a new quizzing engine (New Quizzes) in Canvas is coming in 2022. As we prepare for the transition from the existing quizzing tool (Classic Quizzes), we want to keep our instructors informed to ensure a seamless experience.
What’s new with New Quizzes?
- More intuitive user interface
- Student Quiz Accommodations for the whole course (not just quiz by quiz!)
- Shuffle Answers by Question
- Printing Quizzes
- Embed images without adding to course Files
- Require Waiting Period Between Attempts
- Reopen submitted attempts
- Stimulus, Ordering, and Hot Spot Question Types
- Controlled student result view
Some Classic Quiz features that are not currently available in New Quizzes:
- No Surveys
- Module navigation
- Download All Submissions
- Assessments in New Quizzes are only synced to blueprint courses during the initial sync. Changes to assessments are not included in subsequent sync attempts.
- Contents of New Quizzes are not overwritten when imported again through Import Course Content.
- Question banks created in Canvas Quizzes cannot be migrated directly to New Quizzes.
- It is not possible to create question groups that are not linked to an item bank. There is, however, a new item type called a "stimulus " type that allows a group of questions to be associated with a block of content.
Canvas New Quizzes Resources
As we approach our transition date, we will provide more communication with specific resources, timelines, and noteworthy milestones. Instructors can enable New Quizzes for individual courses to get a head start on exploring and using this new tool. Refer to the Canvas Guides for details. We are also adding some resources to our Digital Learning website.
Stay tuned for next steps on our New Quizzes journey!